Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ultra_violet

Unidentified Bugger

ultra_violet
10 years ago

A few days ago I noticed a brown-black little insect perched on the wall. Then I found another one on a curtain in a different room. And then another one, and another one...

So...today I discovered that EVERY SINGLE window in my house has DOZENS of these insects on the outside of the bug screen. They just sit there and are rarely seen mobile. But, if there is a crevice they WILL inevitably crawl through and make their way inside. They like to hang out on the curtains and window sills. They are half the length of a grain of rice and have a pointy posterior end.

I found them on my AV and that is the last straw. I'm vacuuming them up in batches. What is it? and more importantly, is it a known harmful pest to houseplants and AVs. Thanks. (I apologize for the escalating sense of hysteria in this post, but they really are not cute to behold).

Comments (18)

• sheilatse
    10 years ago

Looks like leafhopper as the pic is not clear. Google for leafhopper to verify

• ultra_violet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Sheila, for id despite blurry pic. Based on descriptions "elongated, wedge shaped and somewhat triangular in cross-section" and looking at google pics, I think you are correct that the insects are "black leafhoppers". They also jump when I touch them. I am nervous to find them attracted to my AV collection as they are sap-sucking and feast off of a wide variety of plants including flowers .

Maybe they are seeking refuge from frost in my garden to my warm windows/house. I have never noticed or heard of leafhoppers before, thanks again. There are just so many of them!! Now I need to read more about how to deal with the situation.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Ultra,

At this time of year, many insects crawl into our houses to escape the cold. For several years in the past, we were inundated with ladybugs in Ohio. This year, it is stinkbugs. You just vacuum them up and when the weather turns cold enough, those outside will die and the problem will be over. I wouldn't worry about your violets.

Linda

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

The word ladybugs brings a smile to my face. Stinkbugs? Not so much!!!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Buunycat,

They're not called stinkbugs for nothin'!

Linda

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

I've read that they are quite awful. So if I had to be over run by something, I would choose ladybugs.

• ultra_violet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Linda: Phew at least I haven't been overrun by stinkbugs. I would go bonkers if I had to deal with a stinkbug invasion right before Turkey Day. Thanks for giving me peace-of-mind about the leafhoppers. This morning I removed and washed all of my bug screens outside and those guys flew everywhere, I had to shake out my clothes when I was done as they do bite. We are expecting a big freeze overnight and I hope that will be the end of them. As for inside, I'm vacuuming as I see them and will probably wash all my curtains out. As for AVs, all of my houseplants are on Marathon and leafhoppers are on the list of pests vulnerable to imidacloprid. So I am feeling much better now.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

They will probably die out soon - and they are in a wintering mode, not feeding. I would investigate how they come in - if they can come in - you are probably losing heat through the cracks as well.

• ultra_violet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So the leafhoppers are back on the window screens but there aren't as many. I think some of them drowned. Oh well, I'll let Mother Nature do her thing.

@Irina: It's ironic that I am more concerned about bugs on my AVs than the structural integrity of my house foundation, which has been shifting slowly over the years. There's something wrong with me, I know :)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

we have issues with box elder bugs when it warms for a day or two after it gets cold. sometimes the ladybugs come out too. they are just so numerous it gives some folks the heebie jeebies. They have a problem on the bridges over the Mississippi with May flies too. I have never seen a huge mass of stink bugs. Be interesting to see (not experience) cuz them buggers ... foul my olfactory nodes.

dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I find the stinkbugs a bit interesting. They are shaped like home plate. Makes me think of baseball, the Reds, summertime...

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Well, The Red Sox don't stink this year!
    Joanne the former Bostonian

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

The Red Sox? Never heard of them...

• sheilatse
    10 years ago

I did have problems with stink bug which at first I did not know as eggs were laid on the wall, my clothes, any surface until I google for insect eggs to Id.

The hatched insects look like red ant type and can grow very fast and big on water only. I used dettol or alcohol to spray the eggs and it worked. Luckily the mother bug was trapped in the shade screen and died, no more headache.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

The Red Sox won the 2013 World Series. In recent history, won Series in 2007, 2004. They finished the season 97-65. The Reds last won a World Series in 1990. The Reds finished 2013 season 90-72.

⦠Just sayin'

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

1990-wire to wire. When was the last time the Sox did that?

Not to mention the Big Red Machine considered to be THE best team EVER.

Just sayin...

Linda

Shouldn't you be rooting for the Giants??? ;)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

The Giants are not as classy as the Red Sox. In the last season, the Red Sox represented the heart of Boston recovering from the attacks at the Boston marathon (not the fungicide). They are highly professional, and don't have
    a lot of personal ego. In comparison, the Giants seem like a bunch of overgrown kids. We also have the Oakland A's here as well. They are AL, Giants are NL. As a former new englander and new yorker, i know more about the AL than the NL. Al are overall stronger performers.
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I'm an NL girl. Not a big fan of the DH.

Linda

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County