Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splatteredwhim

Shelf life of supplies?

splatteredwhim
10 years ago

Do things like potting supplies and fertilizers expire?

I am going to be ordering some supplies from Cape Cod Violetry, but I'm not sure how quickly I'll go through it very quickly. I also have a bag of the store-bought stuff that is over a year old now (Espoma African Violet mix, I think) that I've been mixing with perlite. I think i'm going to ditch that stuff, but it got me thinking about the soil I have for the other plants. Should I be hanging on to this stuff beyond a year? Is it breaking down in the bag, or does that more happen once it's in a pot and being watered and exposed?

I already have a big thing of Dyna Gro 7-9-5 (and the foliage one for the other plants). I think I've read that the fertilizer doesn't expire. Is that true?

Comments (6)

• Karin
    10 years ago

I never really thought about it to be honest.
    I'd be more worried about bacterial infestation rather than chemical break down. I would expect a dry fertilizer to last a few years at least, if stored properly.
    Same with soil, it would take a while to get wet again though. If it appears 'iffy', I just use it outdoors. But i usually go through it pretty quickly.
    Things like rooting hormone, I'd probably buy new if I were doing an 'important' project (my current batch is a few years old). As it is, I only ever use it because I have it. - I never was convinced it made much of a difference anyways.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

SW,

The soil should be fine. Peat does not break down unless it is exposed to the elements.

Fertilizers, being a chemical mix, may be a different story. Why don't you ask John when you place your order?

As for rooting hormone-most people have better experience not using it from what I have heard and read. I never noticed much difference so I stopped using it.

Linda

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

I guess soil will be fine for couple for years, unless it was wet and you got some stuff growing in it.
    Fertilizers are mostly salts, and with 20 years of lab work I'm sure that you can store them for a very long time if kept dry and away from heat and sun. Some dry mixes are getting solidified, but usually you can take chunk off or just smack it (if bagged) with a hammer to crush solid pieces.
    Were you able to get current catalog from Cape Cod Violetry? I requested one by e-mail with no luck.

Aggie

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got a catalog by email, using the ccviolets@msn.com address. If you used the other address I've seen floating around, you might want to try this one. Or I can forward the PDF if you'd like. Although it might be good to make contact with them to make sure they're getting your messages

I think I'll go ahead an get a larger bag of the mixes and not worry about it going bad. I figured the vermiculite and perlite would be fine, but the peat seems more iffy.

I'll ask about the fertilizer, too. There's no date on the bottles of liquid that I have, so it doesn't seem to be a top-of-mind concern for the companies.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

SW,

Peat moss, also known as Canadian Peat or the 'brown kind' is partially decomposed peat. It will not deteriorate further unless it is exposed to the elements, mainly moisture. Michigan Peat, aka the black kind, is the same product except that it has decomposed further than the Canadian. You do not want to use this for any gardening or indoor growing as it has rotted to the point of being useless. That is why it is cheaper than the other.

Linda...and I'm starting to realize how much of a plant nerd I truly am. Lectures on peat moss...sheesh.

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the rest of us are just as nerdy as you, being students who will eagerly listen to lectures on peat moss. :)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living