Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Not bad for a day's work :)

nwgatreasures
14 years ago

My AV Dirt Buddy and I repotted over 75 babies today into some solo cups and larger pots.

About 65 or so are Optimara EverPraise that came from just 7 leaves (I know, it needed separating about 6 weeks ago).

We worked on some Rob's Hokie Pokie, MiKindaGirl, and Powder Keg too.

Today was a good day for me to just enjoy being with my friend to play in the dirt and do a little bit of dreaming about what plants might be in good enough shape come April/May to enter at conventions.

Dora

Comments (9)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Dora,
    Sounds like you're getting ready for another big sale. Good luck with the next one.
    Fred in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

You couldn't ask for a more perfect day it sounds! Glad you 2 got to enjoy it together doing something you both enjoy!,,,Debbie

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fred,
    I'm not going to be growing for our local group's sale.

I removed my name from our nominating committee's recommendation/report and I will be seeking other ways to enjoy these beauties.

Perhaps I will be able to connect with some other ways to move them out.
    I'm considering eBay once the weather warms up. (or starting my own group)

I just know that it will not be through our local club.

• quitecontrary
    14 years ago

A word to the wise - Optimara EverPraise is still under patent protection. Patent was filed in 2002. A plant patent goes for 20 years from date of filing. Therefore, it is technicslly illegal to propagate or sell it. Most Optimaras/Rhapsodies either were not patented or have expired patents. You can look them up on Google patent search. Type in "African violet plant EverPraise" - leave out Optimara or Rhapsodie name.

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Dora, some clubs here in the northeast have been asked to provide starter plants as table favors for one of the dinners at the national convention in Raleigh next year. If you are so inclined, that could be wonderful motivation to make sure you are there! "Gee, honey, I have to take these 20 plants to Raleigh, they are counting on me...."

They don't have to be in bloom, just healthy.

Barbara

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Quitecontrary - thanks for the heads up on that patent issue.
    I wonder how diligent patent attorneys inforce that?

I know in the music industry - that' a HUGE deal.

Wondering,
    Dora

• quitecontrary
    14 years ago

Dora -
    I honestly don't know if the big growers ever go after hobbyists for patent infringement. I did read on a forum that some landscape guy was asked to cease and desist propagating his patented plants. It is more the principal of the thing - infringing on somebody's livelihood. At a national convention, I would be more worried about the reaction of Optimara reps who may be there and who would likely spot the table favors. Might be embarassing. Perhaps others who have attended the large conventions have seen this scenario and could comment?

QC

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

QC,
    I'm a million years away from growing for a large audience but patent stuff is a biggy for me (my hubby is in music business and it's a huge legal matter for anyone)
    ...however.......

our "small town" sale - which has 'bout 5 growers and less than 100 in attendance to view/purchase probably wouldn't be the regular stomping grounds of an Optimara person looking for patent infrigement...still.....I'm not one to do things that are against my value system and my value system says to stick with honoring patent protection.

I'll have to find a way to give them away - probabaly to nursing home program.

Dora

• threas
    14 years ago

Dora, sounds like you had a wonderful day! Wow, good to know about the patent info!

Theresa

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery