Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiebug

Stalite or Aerolite in potting mix

dixiebug
9 years ago

I found these two items on the rePotme.com site. I am wondering if anyone has used them in their potting mix or is it best to just stick with Perlite.

On that note, do you use small or medium perlite in your mix? I have been using small, but it is very dusty and I am thinking of trying medium. I also use perlite in the bottom of my pots with a wick up through it and laying on top before the potting mix.

Here are descriptions:

Stalite Slate is an all natural medium mined in the United States from volcanic slate which is then rotary kiln fired to over 2000 degrees. The material is then made into sterile granules or pieces that are extremely porous and PH neutral. It has the ability to aerate and also hold moisture/nutrients for orchid roots to seek. Because it is essentially a type of lightweight rock, it is extremely durable, and will not compress. It has low absorption yet the pores store vital moisture and nutrients for uptake. Picture a sponge and then turn it to stone with all the spaces, holes and crevices retained.

Aerolite is small foam polystyrene (trade name 'Styrofoam') balls that are used to increase aeration and reduce moisture retention in a mix. It is often a component in peat and seedling mixes.

Comments (4)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    The problem with styrofoam is that it is lightweight so it tends to travel to the surface of the potting medium. Perlite remains in place. Some people use coarser perlite on the bottom and fine mixed with the soil. Sometimes, the fine is not available, so coarse works. Some people wear a mask to avoid inhaling the powder from fragments. Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 23:37

• snappyguy
    9 years ago

I would avoid the Aerolite just on the grounds that it's styrofoam. That'll take ages to decompose, and the world doesn't need more plastic. As for the Stalite, I have no idea what they're talking about in their description. They call it volcanic slate, which as a geologist I can tell you simply does not exist. Slate is a metamorphic rock; volcanics are igneous rocks. They are different at the most basic level. Their description makes Stalite sound similar to perlite, which is a type of hydrated volcanic glass that has been expanded by application of heat.

Mark

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Mark, for the info. Now I'm wondering about using grow stones in a semi hydroponic system. I'm having trouble with over/under watering and therefore with crown rot. I just haven't gotten my potting mix down right. I am not able to sterilize. Currently I am using an African Violet commercial mix and adding perlite. I just ordered a bag of grow stones, which are made out of recycled bottles (beer, soda, etc).

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

if you're thinking of hydro, perlite and lecca/hydroton, scoria all wick, while glass will definitely not. also the above will 'hold on' to nutes, since they are all porous, but glass will not. neither will aerolite.
    when i read the definition of stalite - i thought i was reading about perlite! too. may be it's a trademark name for the same product?
    i use reg MG perlite. and i do funny stuff to avoid the dust (and quite successfully too, since i have dust allergy and would go asthmatic in a moment). i stick a large yogurt container in, at arms length, fill it 3/4 full, slowly pull out and stick it directly under a slow tap water dribble: it gels like a concrete. then i stir and am ready to go. all at arms length, so i am safe.
    no perlite rinsing for me either;)... oh no, thanks!

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator