Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

Suncoast Series

fortyseven_gw
10 years ago

Hello All
Would anyone be willing to provide info on where I might locate the Suncoast Series of AVs? ( I am thinking that is a Florida hybridizer. I would be interested to know the name.) Also, the Teen series?
Thank you,
Joanne

Comments (21)

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

Can see Teen Bride, Teen Chatter and Teen Thunder listed at Bluebird Greenhouse

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

...and Teen Thunder and Texas Teen are offered by the Violet Barn

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

And LLG has Suncoast Blue Cranberry and Texas Teen

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bunnycat,
    Thank you for that information! I will look up these
    sources.
    Joanne

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

No Suncoast AVs currently on eBay, but if you do an advanced search of completed auctions you will find quite a few. You can contact the sellers to see which they normally carry in addition to those listed.
    Bunnycat (Nancy)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Joanne -

yes - Suncoast series are from Florida (hyb. Williams) from late eighties. I grew a couple of them and I loved them. Wonderful plants - both rosettes and blossoms.

Right now on ebay a Florida seller pjsviolets has 2 varieties in his store - Suncoast Razz and Suncoast Lavender Silk - you can get a plant or a couple of leaves - and I would inquire if he carries other Suncoast varieties - and can add more leaves if possible.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy and Irina,
    Thank you so much!!
    (I have never bought AVs from EBay, so this will be a learning experience.) I seem to see Lavender Silk offered by various sellers not on EBay, so perhaps that is a tried and true one.
    Joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

If I buy them from ebay - I will order leaves - and dip them in 1:3 rubbing alcohol or Clorox solution, recut them, let them swim for short time in a lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar - and off you go.

I had Suncoast Paisley Print and something else. Loved them.

Sometimes you covet a certain variety - and if the only place is ebay - then it comes from ebay.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again, Irina and Nancy!
    I appreciate I've also wanted Paisley Print. Thanks
    for the advice about EBay and how to sanitize the leaves.
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I for one LOVE E Bay. It helps me acquire varieties I otherwise could not.

Linda

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

I like Ebay as well and spend too much there.

dave

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina, Linda, All,
    Would you know which part of the mother leaf produces the growth nutrients to root and produce babies? I have some babies started from leaves directly on the leaf itself. The leaf is in the way of the babies growing and reaching the light. How much of the adult leaf may safely be removed to provide space for the babies? Or, is the adult leaf itself producing nutrients that promote growth. I have already removed the outer growing edges of the adult leaves.

If anyone knows of a book that goes into more of the technical details of growth, please do recommend.

Thank you,
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

Rooting leaves involves several plant hormones as well as meristimatic tissue. Meristimatic tissue is tissue that multiplies and eventually differentiates itself into various plant structures:roots, leaves, etc.

But for practical purposes: once you have babies they are growing on their own roots and producing what they need to live.

If I have this problem, I sometimes cut away the pot/cup area where the babies are and lie the pot on a slant to allow the light to reach the babies. Once the babies are big enough, you can cut away the mother leaf. Its job is finished.

In my experience, having the mother leaf shade the babies only produces babies with longer leaf stems. This is quickly worked out when the baby is planted on its own. I wouldn't worry about it if it were me!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,
    Very helpful tips, thanks! Gives me something to look up for further reading--meristimatic tissue.
    J

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

Meristimatic tissue is tissue that is capable of growth. It is located at growing points on plants; usually the ends of roots, stems, etc. It is also located at the base of branches. If you look closely at the bark there, you will see a circular area. That is Meristimatic tissue. This tissue enables growth as it can divide and differentiate into various elements of a plant.

Linda The Plant Nerd

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Aha - found some explanations

Here is a link that might be useful: Meristematic tissue

• Karin
    10 years ago

Around you guys, I learn something new every day :-)

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irina
    So interesting, thank you!

I made a quick stop by Ace Hardware today, where I get my plant supplies. Chatted with the gardener to whom I had given a batch of plants I started a few months ago. He said they are all flourishing and blooming.

Picked up a bunch of AV supplies you and others recommended--Neem, the generic store brand marathon, assorted X-acto blades, a small pick, a domed tray with 24 1.5 compartments. Also a bunch of Optimaras to bring as hostess gifts this holiday week. The O's I got: Scarlet, Degas (or Millennia), another Michele. Stopped by favorite consignment shop and picked up a bunch of vintage plates, cache pots and little teddy bears to dress up the plant-gifts. 'Tis the Season!
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Vintage plates? I love antique china. They're like little works of art. The irony is that I don't cook! Go figure.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wager, that's 'cuz you're busy taking care of plants, pets, landscapes, and bees! Something's gotta give!
    Take-out looks great and tastes fancier eaten off of vintage plates!
    Mostly, we eat off of the old Corelle for everyday.

Collecting vintage plates is a more recent hobby of mine
    that was latent or dormant until the gray hair and grand baby appeared!
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

Pictures, please!

Linda