Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old violet

Posted by dogflower Oklahoma (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 21:38

Hi, I have a violet that's over 20 years old. Had it since 1994 from a friend, given to me in a plastic mixing bowl which it is still in now, it has not been replanted/potted all this time. I have only given plant food probably 3 times in the past 14 years, I don't pluck the dead blooms, they eventually fall off into the pot I guess. I water it about once a week, mostly when I see the leafs go limp because I forget but then give it a half glass of water, about 2 cups and it does fine. I recently took a couple cuttings and trading one to a friend in Arkansas for one of hers which is what brought me to this forum.
[IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m28/Blusteel_CaneCorso/IMG_3842.jpg[/IMG]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old violet

ok the pic did not show up let me try again. also wanted to say it blooms 12 months of every year it's just beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: violet

o

WOW! That is one beaautiful violet. It looks like there are three or more crowns in the pot. You can separate them into their own pots and have three or more violets.

o

Exactly my thought - WOW-- and you got a cast iron one the way it survives the mistreatment. Worth holding to.

Suggestions -

-do not disassemble it all at once, Take one crown out and pot it separately - even if it doesn't have a separate root system - it roots easily if you cover the new potted crown in a baggie - pot and all. In this case - if it won't work for you - you still have the rest.

Do not wait until it goes limp, water it just before - when it is already dry but not droopy.

If you grow your plant as a single crown - it stays smaller, it is easier to remove spent blooms and leaves - and IMHO - more pleasure to look at.

But you sure do something right in your "different way" of growing it!

Irina

o

different strokes for different folks. I love it just the way it is. Pembroke

o

thanks for all the advice, I had no idea you put the cutting, pot and all in a baggy but I see how that would help root the cutting. I don't let it go limp intentionally, I loose track of days and forget to water it. Since it is always in bloom I don't feel it needs plant food, sometimes the blooms are so thick you almost see more pink then green.

o

I like Gardenweb, but I really hate the actual forum format, it's just so clunky having to do html tags for pictures... if I wasn't in IT, I would have NO idea how to do that... hope you don't mind me putting the tags in.

o

That plant is IMPRESSIVE! WOW!

o

That's really incredible! And I have a hard time keeping one alive more than a few months! I've never seen one anywhere near that large, you're obviously doing something right!!!

And the forum format gets easier when you do it a bit. If you post pics to photobucket, you can copy and paste and the html tags will come along with the photos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here