Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miracle Gro Peat Moss?

Posted by stross z8, San Antonio (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 21:45

Hello everyone! I recently used the last of the small bag of peat moss that I was using to make the 1-1-1 soil mix. The only type of small bag of peat moss now offered at both the local Home Depot and the local nursery is Miracle Gro peat moss with Miracle Gro fertilizer mixed in with it. This "new and improved" peat moss has me confused.... Has anyone used this type in their 1-1-1 mix? If so, did you adjust your wicking solution to account for the fertilizer in the Miracle Gro peat moss? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miracle Gro Peat Moss?

Stross -

you probably can use it - just do not fertilize your plants for a couple of months to use up the fertilizer.

Don't they carry these big bales of Canadian peat moss - 3 cubic feet - for $11? You just need to sieve it to remove the sticks. If you do not have place to store it - your friends with the gardens would love to use it up.

I.

o

• Posted by stross z8, San Antonio (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 23, 12 at 23:15

Thanks, Irina. I was thinking about doing the no fertilizer thing. Had not thought about using a big bale and sieving it. Good suggestions! Thanks again.

o

For NORMAL plants it's alright I guess but I don't like that they put ferts in ALL of their mixes (even Perlite). I grow carnivorous plants and it's NOT GOOD for them at all. It can kill them. They need to stop adding stuff to their mixes. It's not a good thing at all IMHO.

o

• Posted by stross z8, San Antonio (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 0:15

I agree, tommyr. Sometimes "new and improved" isn't. lol Fortunately, I found a bag of Fertilome peat moss at another nursery. Just plain old peat moss, thank goodness.

o

Hmmm - seems there is a very good reason for improvement - take $8 worth of peat moss, add 50 cents worth of fertilizer, repack - in Miracle Grow bag - and sell for $36 a baggie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here