Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splatteredwhim

The lessons never stop...mites now?

splatteredwhim
10 years ago

I've been coasting along, learning many lessons over the past few months...all about water, light and temperature. Had a few months of solitude, just watching my first leaves grow into little plantlets, and have their first problems with the change of seasons.

The little plantlets have been overall doing quite well, while every African Violet that I bring into my house as a whole plant has died. Except for two suckers I separated back in September, before I messed up wicking on the last adult plant I had.

Well...now I noticed a teeeeeny little crawly thing on the outside of the pot of one of the separated suckers. Checking every pest description on the Dr Optimara site, nothing really fits the description for anything I saw under soil bugs. I get out a slide loupe (the only magnifying thing in the house, apparently. And not the best tool...) and look very closely at the leaves. There's two crawlies. Bulbous bodies. Looks a lot like a cyclamen mite, at least based on what I see in Google images.

I asked the husband for a second opinion. "Does this look like that?" Yes, he concurs.

Farts.

They aren't showing any symptoms. But there's definitely mite-like things. Should I cut my losses and chuck them?

More importantly...is my whole "collection" (all 3 varieties) doomed? I fear I may not have been very careful lately with keeping them away from each other. How long before I should be able to tell if I've contaminated all of the rest?

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

SW,
    First, don't jump the gun and throw out your plants before you know what the problem is. Second: isolate your affected plant and take leaves from all your violets, 'just-in-case".

In my experience, you never see the mites before you see the damage. I would wait and see what happens and how they grow. If it is mites, it won't take long for the damage to show up.

Let's let Irina weigh in on this. She is awesome when it comes to pests.

Linda

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, stepping back from the ledge. I've put them in the other room for now and am watching them. I've already got leaves down from this one so I'm ok there. Can you recap total isolation procedure, so I don't miss some way they can spread? When I first brought this one home I kept it covered at first and just didn't water it at the same time as the others and washed my hands in between, and used new, clean dishes for bottom watering. Is that enough or can I do more?

Also, what are the earliest signs I'm looking for?

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Dear SW,
    I impulsively tossed out a plant that had two green bugs, not sure if they were aphids. I was not able to replace that plant and have regretted ever since. I was moving at the time, so it seemed like a logical thing to do as I was giving away plants like crazy.

A non-expert rule of thumb is that if it moves, and you can see it, you can get rid of it.

I recently brought in one new plant that had a couple of creepy crawlers. I just sprayed, isolated in a separate room, with door closed for a couple of months. Nothing spread and it is fine now.

However, mealy bug is a different story. In my experience, toss first and ask questions later. It spreads.

Joanne

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My main concern is that I almost couldn't see it. I only noticed the first little ones because they were white specks crawling against a dark side of the pot. I'm surprised I noticed them at all. And the things I saw on the leaves with the magnifying device I couldn't see without it, and they definitely moved.

They're in the bedroom now, under a bowl.

I've had mealy bugs on some tropical foliage things that I was able to control, because I could find them easily on the long, smooth fronds. I can't imagine how much harder they would be on fuzzy leaves with so many places to hide.

I'm less concerned about saving these two, as I have duplicates going already, but my biggest freak-out right now is the thought that I could have spread something to the others.

I hope I'm just being silly.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Sw,

We have two different bug conversations going here. Is your concern mites or mealies?

Mealies are as common to violets as fleas are to dogs. You are always going to have a battle with them. When you find them, you treat them. Foliar mealies look like cotton, soil mealies will show up as a silver-blue coloring on the inside walls of your pot.

Mites are trouble but, as I said, I have always seen damage before I see the mites. Your crowns will become hard, crunchy, and badly curled. The damage is very obvious.

I know you only have a few plants but if you plan to stay with violets, I would recommend having a few pesticides on hand. Forbid is effective against mites and Marathon for mealies. Both can be bought from Cape Cod Nursery. John re-packages these into small quantities for the hobbyist.

Both of these are considered quite safe for inside use. I researched both extensively as I have dogs, birds and I am a beekeeper so safety is paramount.

Make sure you know what you have before you treat.

I hope this helps.

Linda

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Definitely not mealys. I only mentioned them because Joanne did, and I've had those in the past so I know what thy look like. Not like these.

I've seen different contact information floating around old messages for Cape Cod Violetry in old messages and online. Which is the most current?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

SW,

The web site is: http://www.jacksonvilleviolets.org/uploads/2012_Catalog_OCT30.pdf. This will take you to their catalog.

If you have questions, just ask them. John is very helpful.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda,
    I just knew there was another collection at your place, but did not know what! Bees! That is wonderful! You perform a great service. I am presently home, treating a sore throat and cold with locally grown honey, lemon and ginger. (I teach, so I can't yell at the children when I have laryngitis!)

Thanks for the info on Cape Cod Violetry, as I also did not know where to contact them. Seems that they moved from the Cape to Jacksonville, FL.

I have been thinking of treating my collection, just as a precaution. I did in the past, with good results. However, I would prefer to get the specific pesticides for the purpose.
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

People who think plants are a challenge should try bees. I have lost three hives to colony collapse in the the past two years and I have a hive now that I think is history. Very sad. But the honey is amazing!

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Ouch! Poor bees...

SW - I do not think they were mites - as you were advised- you cannot see the critter with your naked eye - and the loupe - should be like 20-30X. Aphids may be - and they are easy to get rid with a soapy water - it clogs their breathing holes - which are yes - in their butts.

Plus - it can be anything - the plants came from a greenhouse - with all kind of critters that are not necessary pests - may be they eat pests. I have the whole herd of spiders in my basement - that I think of as my first line of defense. (My step-daughter squeals when she sees them - so lately she and her family stay in a motel when they come to see us. First line of defense works - isn't it? At least I do not need to cook for them trying to accommodate their different tastes).

So - idea - is - relax - and if something is bothering you - take a leaf - dip it in alcohol 1:3 solution - and restart it. You can always toss the plant. I really prefer leaves or babies when I want to get a new variety. Much easier to debug.

Good idea to isolate a new plant for some time anyway - but if it was already sitting on a shelf with other plants - it is useless.

I.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda
    That is sad about the hives and bees. Our neighbors kept bees, so I learned a little about them. I do like to read about and study bees. For years, I have used Royal Jelly vitamins and skin care products. Like honey, Royal Jelly has natural antiseptic properties that boost the immune system. Time for another cup of tea with honey!
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

One important thing landscapers stress is to know what pest you are dealing with before you start throwing chemicals at your plants. I once had a job where I pointed out the caterpillars munching on a customer's parsley. She flew into the garage and came out armed with three cans of indiscriminate bug sprays. I said, "Before you spray, you might want to know that these are Monarch butterfly caterpillars." Lesson: Know what you are dealing with. I can buy parsley from Kroger, give me Monarchs in my yard daily.

Joanne,

The bees are fascinating to watch. The will change their flight patterns with the seasons as the flower sources change. You can stand in the middle of them as they come and go and they pay no attention to you. They also drink water from my dogs' bowls!
    Last year I had a hive swarm and I captured them and re-hived them. I had a lot of spectators that day but none came close!

Irina,

Are you spending your free time looking at bug butts?

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Free time? what free time? I do not know what free time means..

Irina

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Irina,

I just wanted to make sure you weren't spending what little time you had looking at bug hineys. Or scooping up drunken worms. (Still my favorite story!)

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

HI
    I think my favorite is the bee story you just related,
    Linda!
    Sweet! Thanks!
    (I guess I consider my plant time as my "free time â¦")
    Joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Plant time is a quality time, not free time. I am going to load the washer - and take a dive to my basement. I have a vacation coming - and I am going to have a lot of time in my plant room.

Guys - don't you think it is a sign of old age? Pardon for being crass - but many years ago I overheard the guys discussing what's better - good roll with a girl - or a quality BM. They were wrong - plant time - that's the best.

I.

• philpet
    10 years ago

Well said, I totally agree. Spending time with my plants is the finishing touch to a hectic day. Its the part I look foward to ( except with my husband ) of course. LOL. Velleta

• Karin
    10 years ago

If I did my plants at the end of a hectic day, I might just end up yanking all the leaves - gimme some bread dough to work and everything will be fine though, or a quick 10km run... Both is usually best :-)
    (angry? Make bread. seasonal depression? Just bake some christmas cookies - I have to run to keep up with the baking...)

If I had kids, they'd bug me on purpose, as it is, the dog makes sure I supply him with plenty of peanut butter & liver cookies :-) ooh the drama when we run out...

I find taking care of my plants is a great start to the day - they are so much less demanding than people (I am so not a morning person).

K.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

I like best plant time on the weekend in the early a.m.
    I just counted up 12 leaves to be rooted â¦.
    that will be my late sunday afternoon,
    (no reason why you can't have all three, Irinia, no need to choose!)
    Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Good luck, Karin, It will get done â¦
    Joanne

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this looking excessively hairy? It seems like longer hairs than almost two weeks ago.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

SW,

If it is mites you are concerned about, check the center. That's where it will get hairy. BTW, your soil looks good but your pot looks too big. Otherwise, from this picture, all looks good.

Linda

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm. Wondering how to shrink that cup a bit. It's already just a 2 ounce condiment cup, but the plants are pretty little still, since being separated.

A creamer cup is too little. Do you have any crafty suggestions for smaller than 2 oz cups?

• Aggie2
    10 years ago

SW,

I know solo makes also 1.25 oz cups, don't know where to get it though.
    If you have Cuban coffee place somewhere close, colada comes with little cups like creamer but 22ml instead of 11ml. I don't think these are usable for leaves, but just planted couple of suckers and they look perfect. I think this may be perfect size for micros and babies from leaves!
    I have a bag at work, will check who makes it.

Aggie