Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbear1

How to divide a AV

gardenbear1
9 years ago

How hard is to to divide A V,s I have a rooted leaf cutting of a noid that has 2 plants growing in the same pot and I would like to separate into 2 plants. This is the first cutting that I did, its been about 2 month in it own pot but with 2 plants I would like to separate them into their own pots, how hard is it to do this with them being so young ?

Thanks for any and all help
Bear

Comments (11)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Easy. Make sure the soil is semi moist a day before you plan to divide it. Knock it out of the pot. Place your fingers in the middle of the two cuttings and press down and pull them apart. Repot and water. Or you can use a serrated knife and cut the soil in half.

• gardenbear1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help. I was hoping it would be easy but being new at grow them from a leaf cutting I was afraid to harm them.
    Bear

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I felt that way the first few times I divided them. I haven't lost one yet. Just try to be gentle. Next time don't put two in a pot.

• gardenbear1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It wasn't 2 cuttings in a pot, it was one that turned into 2. I guess I worded it wrong but I guess I still have a lot to learn, but with all the help you folks can give me I'll learn.

Bear

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Use a small serrated knife and cut halfway between the two. I just did some the other day.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Zackey gave perfect advice. If you want more tips, just do a search on this forum, that question is asked frequently. We just had a thread on it if you search through the recent threads. The leaves should be the size of a dime, at least the major ones before separating. They can stay in the pot for longer than two months. The plants seem to know enough to not get too tangled up with each other. It is normal for a leaf to produce more than one plant. You can also find tutorials on You Tube. Just do a google search. When you separate, go slowly, take your time and have the other pots all ready. The main idea is to try to make sure each plant has enough roots. Some people leave the small plants in the pot for six months If the parent leaf is still alive, it should be left attached. Even if there are no roots, the baby plant will usually grow some.

• gardenbear1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I divided them this morning and I was surprised on how easy they came apart. I think the next time I will wait a little longer before I divided any cuttings.

Thanks for the help.

Bear

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I'm glad it was easy! did they have many roots?

• gardenbear1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

zackey, they both had a few roots not sure how many but they were long and looked healthy, so I'll wait and see how they grow, The plant that the cutting came from was $ 1.00 at lowes discount table, the plant looks really great and hasn't stopped blooming after I repotted it into some new violet mix.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Long roots sound good to me. From what I've been told it's not recommended to repot when something is in bloom. Not sure how true that is... I love the dollar tables. I've gotten several $1.00 orchids in the past. Once when I worked at Publix and got to work early.

• gardenbear1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I always look on the discount table when ever I'm at lowes to see if I can find a white one so far no luck LOL most of them are the same colors that I have now.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company