Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leaf problems

Posted by jlm303 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 22:38

Hello all -
My work horse, Harmony's White Lace, developed some darker areas on the center leaves when I was experimenting with LED lights. The backs of the leaves seemed solid, were now dark purple. Now, months later, I have one leaf with a black spot and another that looks like this. Is this late effects of a light burn or something more insidious? I don't see anything crawling.
Thanks, Jodi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leaf problems

Hi this is my plant that got damaged from HEAT. A few wks ago our climate was very hot and this is what happen to all my violets,they are in a northern exposure. When I first saw them this one did not show any damage but now three wks after all of them have started to show it, so each few days I have to be removing drooping leaves some have even lost an entire side of leaves. So I think your problem was too much heat. All you can do is remove the leaf and put the plant in a less light situation. The big leaf next to it shows burnt to but it will take longer to fall off. I know this is upsetting for you but as linda say " its a learning experience". Good luck. VELLETA

o

Jodi -
looks like the old burn form the light. Remove the damaged leaves and repot your plant. Your LEDs probably were way too close.

irina

o

Velleta,

Your plant looks good. Good job! Are all your burned babies looking this good?

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 3:42

o

Hi Linda, how are you? Well they only look good because of you and your expert advise. Sadly I lost my warm summer sunshine. ;( but it was the worst affected. I am sad but to be very honest the rest are ok so I just take a deep breath and move forward. They are all growing new leaves. I am not looking for a bloom for now but I an gaining the experience I need to keep them healthy. Hopefully they will thrive and reward me later. I also notice the ones place in the small cups grow quickly so I am SLOWLY getting their. I am a bit more confident with them now so who knows maybe in the near future I will be able to say" violets are really easy once you know what to do". And that's all because of all the wonderful people here. Thanks again. VELLETA.

o

One plant I just brought home from the store is developing spots like that on its outside leaves too. I am assuming it either got a bit cold on the way home, or the store watered them too generously...
It's still flowering, so I am leaving it as is for now (put down a 'perfect' leaf for insurance though).
And nope, no sign of bugs, but I am keeping it separate until I re-pot it into fresh soil...

o

Thanks guys! That one is the only one who got burned. It was in the same spot, same distance from the fixture but I switched the bulb from the compact flourescent to a LED. I removed that leaf and switched back the old bulb and everyone seems happy. Here's the current grouping.

o

I love how you have your plants in spice pots! Such a unique arrangement! Lovely plants.

o

Thanks! The Lyons violets come in square pots and fit perfectly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here