Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlm303

leaf problems

jlm303
10 years ago

Hello all -
My work horse, Harmony's White Lace, developed some darker areas on the center leaves when I was experimenting with LED lights. The backs of the leaves seemed solid, were now dark purple. Now, months later, I have one leaf with a black spot and another that looks like this. Is this late effects of a light burn or something more insidious? I don't see anything crawling.
Thanks, Jodi

Comments (8)

• philpet
    10 years ago

Hi this is my plant that got damaged from HEAT. A few wks ago our climate was very hot and this is what happen to all my violets,they are in a northern exposure. When I first saw them this one did not show any damage but now three wks after all of them have started to show it, so each few days I have to be removing drooping leaves some have even lost an entire side of leaves. So I think your problem was too much heat. All you can do is remove the leaf and put the plant in a less light situation. The big leaf next to it shows burnt to but it will take longer to fall off. I know this is upsetting for you but as linda say " its a learning experience". Good luck. VELLETA

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Jodi -
    looks like the old burn form the light. Remove the damaged leaves and repot your plant. Your LEDs probably were way too close.

irina

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Velleta,

Your plant looks good. Good job! Are all your burned babies looking this good?

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 3:42

• philpet
    10 years ago

Hi Linda, how are you? Well they only look good because of you and your expert advise. Sadly I lost my warm summer sunshine. ;( but it was the worst affected. I am sad but to be very honest the rest are ok so I just take a deep breath and move forward. They are all growing new leaves. I am not looking for a bloom for now but I an gaining the experience I need to keep them healthy. Hopefully they will thrive and reward me later. I also notice the ones place in the small cups grow quickly so I am SLOWLY getting their. I am a bit more confident with them now so who knows maybe in the near future I will be able to say" violets are really easy once you know what to do". And that's all because of all the wonderful people here. Thanks again. VELLETA.

• Karin
    10 years ago

One plant I just brought home from the store is developing spots like that on its outside leaves too. I am assuming it either got a bit cold on the way home, or the store watered them too generously...
    It's still flowering, so I am leaving it as is for now (put down a 'perfect' leaf for insurance though).
    And nope, no sign of bugs, but I am keeping it separate until I re-pot it into fresh soil...

• jlm303
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! That one is the only one who got burned. It was in the same spot, same distance from the fixture but I switched the bulb from the compact flourescent to a LED. I removed that leaf and switched back the old bulb and everyone seems happy. Here's the current grouping.

• susan_kc
    10 years ago

I love how you have your plants in spice pots! Such a unique arrangement! Lovely plants.

• jlm303
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! The Lyons violets come in square pots and fit perfectly.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County