Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RE: Success from Seed -- At last! Update....

Posted by stross z8, San Antonio (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 23:13

Hello, everyone. Happy Holidays! Several months ago, I posted about finally having success in cross pollinating two of my AV's and getting the seed to sprout. Since several people asked for updates..... Here is a photo of the 15 seedlings that have made it thus far. (I just discovered another sprout in the soil in one of these, too!) Needless to say, I am eagerly looking for the first signs of little buds emerging on the most robust ones.... Maybe I'll see some by Christmas? We'll see.... Anyway, here is the photo of the seedlings of Firebird (Strain 1) x Blue Mist (a Russian variety):

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RE: Success from Seed -- At last! Update....

Wow, those look just great. I look forward to following the progress.

o

I cannot wait to see what this produces! I rather like both parents! Are you currently still growing both parents?

o

• Posted by stross z8, San Antonio (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 19:06

Thanks for the encouragement! I am seeing "little things" emerging on a few of the larger seedlings, but believe some of them might be suckers, since they look more like little leaves rather than buds..... Yes, Taxonomist3, I am still growing both parents. Would not be without them! They are both great violets. That is Blue Mist to the left of the seedlings in the back. If you click on the photo in this post, it should take you to my Photobucket folder with pics of the two parents. Thanks again, guys.

o

AWESOME job, Stross! You are accomplishing something many growers think about, dream about, but never accomplish. Good for you! Please keep us updated on the progress. I am excited for you. Best, Joe

o

Went to your photobucket, the pix are great, you have got me really interested in those two plants now for sure. Very exciting process and it will be great to see what they produce.

o

• Posted by stross z8, San Antonio (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 15:07

Well, I am waiting for the first blossom to open now. It is taking FOREVER, it seems like... like a child waiting for Christmas morning to come, with each day seeming like an eternity. lol :-) From what I can see, though, this first bloom will be predominantly, if not totally, a deep purple. I'm guessing it will be double, given the time that it has taken to develop. It seems to be floriferous, since it is showing 5 flower stalks for it's first bloom. This is one of the traits from Firebird I was hoping would show up in these seedlings. Almost all of the other plants have buds on them as well. I hope to be able to post a pic of the first bloom by the end of the week.... fingers crossed....

o

well well thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here