Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felicityjh

Hi Im new here and I love African Violets

FelicityJH
11 years ago

Hi all Im new my name is Felicity and I live in New Zealand, I am a huge lover of African Violets and I have 11 in my collection. Some have been grown from leaf in soil or water. I have a nice collection and most of them flower all the time.

I hope to learn a lot in these forums especially since a few of mine have changed the colour of their flowers :(

Nice to meet you all

Comments (15)

• Empress012
    11 years ago

Welcome!!!

• dognapper2
    11 years ago

Welcome again!!!
    When I first went to the internet to find out why I was killing AVs in regular cycles as if they were disposable I was amazed by all the variety options out there. Most of the people you meet on the forums will only want to help, no matter the question :) Changing colors generally means the plant sported/ reverted perhaps to something in its "family tree" ...or invented something new and lovely just for you!
    Laurie in Maine
    http://thoushaltnotkillavs.blogspot.com/

• wendycoo
    11 years ago

Welcome
    I consider myself a newbie even though I have had AV's for almost 40 years. When I started up again in the spring and found these forum(s) I found all that could be done wrong I was doing. Biggest thing was mixing my new plants with old plants and transferring bugs around.
    But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so my collection is growing slowly and I have learned so much.
    Enjoy the posts and the huge knowledge that is here.
    Wendy/Canada

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Hi Felicity ... and welcome ...

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

WELCOME! You are going to have FUN here and learn a LOT! any questions? Just ASK!

• lilypad22
    11 years ago

Welcome. I'm glad they bloom regularly for you and you are enjoying them. tish

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

You will love this forum and gain a lot of great information. Glad to see you here.

• sapphirelydia
    10 years ago

Hello Felicity and everyone! I'm new to both African violets and this blog too. I've just acquired my first AV last week, and have learned a LOT in the past few days from reading the old posts. Thanks for everyone again!

I especially want to say hi to Kiwis on this forum; I myself have moved permanently to Auckland from the U.S. this year. Where do you obtain your "novelty" AV's (i.e. anything other than the supermarket variety)? I had found Karen Panek's website and tried contacting her, but none of her email addresses seem to work. Otherwise, I absolutely cannot find any AV hybridizer in NZ. While many people on this forum have found novel plants in U.S. grocery or hardware stores, I have no luck in NZ (Countdown, Warehouse, King's Plant Barn, random florists, etc.). I'm just a beginner, so have no intention of buying overseas and dealing with import permits yet.

Felicity, roughly what AV's do you have in your collection, and where did you get them? I'm mostly interested in variegated / "girl" (i.e. scallop-edged) foilage; I'm not picky about specific named varieties. Maybe you could give me some pointers or sell me some leaves / plants!

Lydia

• Samantha Campbell
    7 years ago

Hi there,

I thought you might be interested in this group especially for African violet lovers in New Zealand...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1105885142796339/

kind regards,

Samantha

• Velleta Tardiel
    7 years ago

Hi Felicity, welcome. The truth is no matter how long you grow African violets we are all still learning.

I live in Jamaica which is basically an oven in summer and I had to restart my collection EVERY year because they always died.

I got so frustrated that I decided to just quit, but earlier this year it hit me why not try and wick water them since its the only thing I did not try.

Well everyone here showed me pics and advised me how to do it, and guess what???. I am now the proud mommy of healthy blooming violets.

So you see the family here is the best you can get. Always willing and ready to help. You are gonna LOVE being here :) Velleta

• irina_co
    7 years ago

Ladies - are you looking at the date? Felicity posted it 4 years ago... She probably already grows 111 AVs...

• Velleta Tardiel
    7 years ago

Irina, oh dear lord. Hahahahahaha. Wow I honestly did not even check I just felt so happy our family was growing.:) Velleta

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

we'll leave the fertilizer to our 'buds' in DC ...

• Kim
    7 years ago

Welcome! You will enjoy it here, I am sure. I love this forum, I have learned so much here. You are already leaps and bounds ahead of where I was when I first posted, probably even where I am at now. You will find that this is a great community eager and willing to encourage and share knowledge. I am glad you found us!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH