Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi Im new here and I love African Violets

Posted by FelicityJH none (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 23:32

Hi all Im new my name is Felicity and I live in New Zealand, I am a huge lover of African Violets and I have 11 in my collection. Some have been grown from leaf in soil or water. I have a nice collection and most of them flower all the time.

I hope to learn a lot in these forums especially since a few of mine have changed the colour of their flowers :(

Nice to meet you all

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi Im new here and I love African Violets

Welcome!!!

o

Welcome again!!!
When I first went to the internet to find out why I was killing AVs in regular cycles as if they were disposable I was amazed by all the variety options out there. Most of the people you meet on the forums will only want to help, no matter the question :) Changing colors generally means the plant sported/ reverted perhaps to something in its "family tree" ...or invented something new and lovely just for you!
Laurie in Maine
http://thoushaltnotkillavs.blogspot.com/

o

Welcome
I consider myself a newbie even though I have had AV's for almost 40 years. When I started up again in the spring and found these forum(s) I found all that could be done wrong I was doing. Biggest thing was mixing my new plants with old plants and transferring bugs around.
But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger so my collection is growing slowly and I have learned so much.
Enjoy the posts and the huge knowledge that is here.
Wendy/Canada

o

Hi Felicity ... and welcome ...

o

WELCOME! You are going to have FUN here and learn a LOT! any questions? Just ASK!

o

Welcome. I'm glad they bloom regularly for you and you are enjoying them. tish

o

You will love this forum and gain a lot of great information. Glad to see you here.

o

Hello Felicity and everyone! I'm new to both African violets and this blog too. I've just acquired my first AV last week, and have learned a LOT in the past few days from reading the old posts. Thanks for everyone again!

I especially want to say hi to Kiwis on this forum; I myself have moved permanently to Auckland from the U.S. this year. Where do you obtain your "novelty" AV's (i.e. anything other than the supermarket variety)? I had found Karen Panek's website and tried contacting her, but none of her email addresses seem to work. Otherwise, I absolutely cannot find any AV hybridizer in NZ. While many people on this forum have found novel plants in U.S. grocery or hardware stores, I have no luck in NZ (Countdown, Warehouse, King's Plant Barn, random florists, etc.). I'm just a beginner, so have no intention of buying overseas and dealing with import permits yet.

Felicity, roughly what AV's do you have in your collection, and where did you get them? I'm mostly interested in variegated / "girl" (i.e. scallop-edged) foilage; I'm not picky about specific named varieties. Maybe you could give me some pointers or sell me some leaves / plants!

Lydia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here