Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bspofford

Making wicks from hosiery

bspofford
16 years ago

Since this topic came up on another thread, and there were some questions about how to do it, here goes....

For knee-hi nylons - cut off the elastic top and the denser toe. I then stick my arm through and pull the stocking up my arm like a long glove. Lick your thumb and first finger (for traction) and start to roll the stocking towards your hand. Continue to keep rolling all the way off your hand. You should now have a nicely rolled 'donut'. Cut the donut anywhere so that you have a long roll like a jelly roll. Simply snip off slices about 1/4" wide with a very sharp pair of scissors. I keep the slices rolled up as much as possible, and put them in a baggie for storage. When ready to use, I put about 10 in a small container, add water, and press on them to help them absorb the water. When setting up the pot, I take a wet slice, unroll it, and stretch it out. That makes it go from a flat strip to a rolled strip. Stick it up through the hole in the pot and coil it around the pot. Be sure to let enough hang out of the pot to hang into the reservoir with some extra to lay on the bottom of the reservoir. Put some potting mix on top and wet slightly; I do this to make sure the wick doesn't dry out while I am repotting.

For pantyhose - cut off the toe and the elastic panty. I cut the stocking into lengths of about 8-9". If you roll the whole stocking, it's hard to get a nice clean cut slice. After cutting into lenghts, pull up onto your arm and roll down to your hand, just like the knee-hi's.

Barbara

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County