Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jean-Pierre Croteau and Sagittarius Elite

Posted by jerome z9 CA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 23:54

Do any of you grow both of these cultivars, or have you at least seen live examples? Both look spectacular to me, and both look exactly the same. Any thoughts?

Are there any distinguishing marks to the "Russian" varieties that merits them being marketed as a class apart?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jean-Pierre Croteau and Sagittarius Elite

i saw Jean-Pierre Croteau at lyndon's a few years ago, was the most stunning plant i ever saw, kick myself for not getting it.

o

I got one from Violet Barn a few months ago, and he's happily growing - probably the most vigorous of all the ones I ordered. Still no flowers, but that's normal: I put him in way too big a pot. Still lots of growth. Glad I ordered it.

o

Of the 4 I ordered in September, J-P Croteau is the easily the most vigorous. Still hasn't bloomed yet, but I think I see little buds starting to come up. Can hardly wait. Foliage is very beautiful and it looks like it'll be a symmetrical grower.

o

I like to root my leaves in water so I can watch the roots and babies grow in my kitchen windows. May not be the fastest way to do it, but it gives me pleasure.
Jean-Pierre Croteau drops roots and grows babies faster than any of the others that I have. The potted plantlets are vigorous too. Just love it!

o

So glad you asked... here's some pictures of my Saggitarius Elite I got from Rob's a few months ago...Mine seem to be more purplish. It has just a few flowers, but giants! mine is currently suffering from a bit of powdery mildew, and I need to get rid of some suckers. It's not the most healthy of my plants, but I only have one and I'm a beginner, so take that with a grain of salt.

More Pictures on my blog

SAGITTARIUS ELITE at Rob's

My Sagittarius Elite:

o

Those photos are beautiful. Can't believe how large the flowers are. Thanks.

o

ocelaris, I notice your pot are sitting down in container. how do you make the round holes in the top. I've tried with an xacto knife but it doesn't turn out OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here