Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting new clones

Posted by Zoe_Gardiner none (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 21, 11 at 0:24

Hello! I'm cloning an African violet for the first time.
I planted cuttings in peat pellets about two months ago.
The new guys are coming up well, but I'm unsure of when to transplant them.

I know that the FAQ says:
"When babies are about 2 inches tall, or have at least 4 leaves per plantlet, separate and put each into individual pots."

I have one plant that has *tons* of leaves but is definitely much smaller than 2 inches. It's also come up quite a lot lower than the soil surface (the new growth actually disturbed the soil on top to the point where it just fell off) I don't know if that will be an issue or not... I would guess not but any insight would be appreciated!

Anyway, my main question is if this particular plant should be transplanted now, or left to get bigger first.

I have pictures, I'll post them in the gallery under the heading "New African Violet Clones." If anyone can take a look and help me figure out how to proceed it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

- Zoe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting new clones

I tried uploading the picture, but can't because it's larger than the allowed limit and I don't know how to resize it. I can send it to anyone willing to help though!!

I'm particularly invested in this particular venture as it's a clone of my 24 year old violet that died two months ago. My mom repotted it and killed it. :(
I was very attached!

I do have the picture posted on facebook and have made it public, so it might be possible to see it that way.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150449756942182&set=a.10150432446427182.370800.516492181&type=3&theater

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Clone

o
RE: Transplanting new clones

Zoe - it is yet too small. You have plenty of babies there which you need to separate - do not keep them together - you will have several young plants coming - but probably you need to wait another month. The grow faster if you fertilize them - weak solution of the fish emulsion will work.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here