Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matta89

PVC Plant stand

matta89
10 years ago

Hey guys;

Since I have 25 variety of leaves down; I need to start planning out a proper plant stand. I was thinking of making a PVC plant stand. I've seen some cool blue prints online that would work online with some tweaking. Any thoughts, anyone have success with something similar? I might have a HUGE restaurant shelf; need to find out if my brother would let me buy it from him; My only problem with that is I'd need more violets...

Was thinking of using something similar to this, adding in extra space for t-8 shop lights. Also, what distance and time do I need for T-8s? I'm a little worried the spacing on the shops lights might not give even light; but they will have to work for now

I also need to figure out something for isolation; which is going to be a tad tricky, since I'm with my parents to help them out...My neice (13) has taken a interest in the violets. I want to feed this; I'm actually thinking of getting her to go with me to some local violet club meetings. Anyways; I'm going to use top of her dresser as a isolation center, she's excited about it.

I was thinking of making something similar to this this stand I saw on amazon out of PVC and wiring one of my shorter lights to it. Ideas?I'm thinking of putting some sand or something in the base to make it a bit more solid. link is below.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-JSV2-2-Foot-Start-System/dp/B0006856EQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks guys for the help!

Matt

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Matt,

Is there a reason you want to make one rather than purchase one?

Linda

• matta89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really the main reason is cost, and flexibility. the cost of making one would be around 25 bucks (before lighting) and I could customize to my needs. Of course the shelving unit of my brothers would be a idea solution. We'll see on that.

• matta89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well never mind all of that! I found a Alera SW504824BL Industrial Wire Shelving Starter Kit, 4 Shelves, 48w x 24d x 72h, Black .

I happened to find one on amazon with cosmetic damage for $105 with the taxes. It would have been 160 new. Should suit my needs perfectly, I don't need a stand for atleast 3-4 months but I couldn't pass up the price!

• Karin
    10 years ago

Lol an entire shelf for some leaf starters. The picture in my head is just too funny.
    But watch out, by the time your leafs grow into plants, you'll have started 2000 more, and then where do they go? ;-p

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Matt,

After much research, I found shelving at Lowe's that is perfect for my plants. It was about $80.00. Let me know if you want more info.

Linda

• matta89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,

I would really love to get this info. I realized that the shelf i bought was 18" wide, not 24''; so I canceled the order. I shouldn't buy stuff without a cup of coffee in me!

Matt

This post was edited by matta89 on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 1:12

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Matt,

Here is the site address of the shelving I have: http://www.lowes.com/pd_101933-1281-CR4824_0__?productId=1000527&Ntt=shelving&pl=1ätURL=%3FNtt%3Dshelving&facetInfo=

I looked for a long time for something suitable and not too expensive. I am very happy with this one. The shelves adjust and the unit is very sturdy. I got it at Lowe's for 78.00. I am getting ready to buy my third set soon.

Let me know if you need more info. And I agree-a little caffeine always helps!

Linda

• matta89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Linda!

I've considered something like this actually; but was worried the particle board wouldn't last, has it held up for you? I was also hoping to a 24'' wide shelf; but at half the cost of the decent 24'' shelves; it would be worth it. If all my leaves take I'l have 20ish plants, not a million.

Matt

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Matt,

My shelves are 24" wide. Maybe I gave you the link for a different size? They are 4' long, 2' wide and 6' high. I was worried about the particle board as well but, so far, so good. You could paint them with a sealant or use plastic but I don't think it's necessary. I think you'd be happy with these shelves.

Linda

P.S. If your leaves take, you'll soon have more than 20 plants. ;)

• matta89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

duh, you did; I had a link of the 18'' size (I was looking at shelves at lowes after your first post. I think I will give 'em a shot! I imagine you could replace the wood if they did have issues pretty easily.

Ha! yeah likely I will have more than 20. but I hope/don't intend to keep 'em all, hopefully get a couple good starts from each variety; keep the one growing best and find a home for the other. I'll need to figure out why my limit point is for the violets; I do work from home, and have lots of 'free' periods during the day. I guess I will have more than 20. I do want to keep some room for the sell; because I know I'll buy some. I'm trying to sort out my isolation plans.

Matt

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Matt,

I thought the same thing about the particle board. It would be an easy fix. I bought my first set of shelves about a year and a half ago and the boards are still fine so it seems they should last a good while.

Lots of time plus lots of room = lots of plants. Restraint is futile!!!

Linda :)