Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

Forsyth method of putting down leaves

fortyseven_gw
10 years ago

Hi
I read an older article from Cornell University Ag or Hort Extension on AVs. It discussed a method of potting leaves in a large, low bulb pan, 6" or 8" wide, 2" deep. In the center of the pan is a 2" clay pot with the hole sealed or plugged. The clay pot is kept filled with water. The potting medium surrounds it. A large quantity of leaves can be place around the clay pot. Water seeps through the pot to the medium to keep it lightly moist. Wondering if anyone has tried that, or if it is "old school."

I also did a little research on molecular clock dating of AVs and found a few interesting articles. Once is by a Russian or European team of botanists. They decided to study the distribution in nature of species AVs for their historical botanical value because they have such strong commercial value. That is, of all the species they could have studied from the mountains of Tanzania and Kenya, they chose AVs. The article is rather technical. However, it speculates a little on how old the AVs are, and how and why they evolved as they did. Evidently, the species is very, very old and very, very adaptive, because the environments were changing. A fun hour of research for this plant nerd, at least I am not a NOID. BTW, my MAC has developed a mind of its own in "correcting" my spelling and word usage. So if a strange word, pops up, it is Mac-speak, not moi.

Joanne

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

That rooting method has been around for a long time. At our state show there was a demo showing this so I guess someone still does it. I tried it years ago and was not very happy with it. It seemed more labor intensive than rooting in solo cups. Maybe it was my growing conditions but I didn't care for it. It might be fun to experiment with it, though. You may find you like it!

Do you have the site for this article about this study? I'd like to read it.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda, thanks for F/B. Hopefully, this will take you to the PDF. The article was first pub 10/78, however, the info is good: PDF]
    Growing African Violets.pdf - eCommons@Cornell - Cornell University
    ecommons.library.cornell.edu/.../2/Growing%20African%20Violets.pdfâÂÂ
    by CC Fischer - âÂÂ1978
    Violets lean. I. Charles Clayton Fischer. Growing. Afr. \\\J. A STATUTORY ... Charles C. Fischer is an associate ... âÂÂThe African Violet Society of America,. Inc. ( Box â¦

Another interesting article that has scientific info is entitled: Auburn Extension Society Commercial Greenhouse Production of African Violets. It has charts on various aspect of growth.
    Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda A little more research reveals that Charles Fischer, the author of the article, was a hybridizer, dating back to the 1940's. He had a greenhouse in Linwood, NJ and imported German stock, and developed the Rhapsodie series.
    Joanne

• Karin
    10 years ago

I've heard about that way of propagation. Haven't personally tried it though. Mind, I usually just stick a bunch of leaves into a large bonsai pot and water them as needed. Or, I stick them in with another plant (shhhhh don't tell the 'purists'!).
    Seen as most of my violets are noids, probably of the optimara variety, I haven't had any issues rooting a leaf yet. Except for one immature one from a near-dead plant.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is a bonsai pot? Are they short and squat? Where do you get them?
    well, once you get settled, in the spring, if you want, perhaps I can send you some plantlets so you can try something else besides your Optimaras.
    Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is a bonsai pot? Are they short and squat? Where do you get them?
    well, once you get settled, in the spring, if you want, perhaps I can send you some plantlets so you can try something else besides your Optimaras.
    Joanne

• Karin
    10 years ago

Thanks Joanne, but I doubt that international shipping would be reasonable. I am thinking about joining the local av society though... There are two to pick from actually. And in spring I'll be able to got to the Canadian African violet society show, seen as it's apparently held in Toronto :-)
    besides, I don't see much point in investing in fancier varieties, until I know I can keep the sturdy ones happy enough....
    As for bonsai pots, the ones I have are about 2" deep of various dimensions, average about 4"x8" or so... I got them in various places, a local nursery, thrift store, garage sale, it's almost sad to see the evidence that people killed their trees - but, it gets you good bargains on nice pottery :-)
    I bought them initially because I was going to train bonsai, but I couldn't make myself chop and wire my little trees. I do some (root-)pruning, and let them grow as they wish, just never put them into a bigger pot. Now I even had to let go of my desiduous ones. Man I am going to miss my lilac....
    Ah well, DH is already plotting on moving again. This time, I am going to make him pack (the boxes ;-p ).

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karin
    I would miss the lilac, too! Well, good luck with your ongoing move.
    Joanne