Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

Question on Reusing a mother leaf

fortyseven_gw
10 years ago

On an older thread, I read (From Quinn):
" I don't even recut leaves when I repot a leaf after removing some plantlets, figuring that if it retains a decent amount of roots it will produce new plantlets much faster."

Perhaps I have been going about removing plantlets in a wrong manner. I usually cut off the parent leaf if the babies are not attached to it and then try to let it root again. I did not realize that the parent leaf should keep some roots, I thought all the roots were supposed to be attached to the babies. When I remove the parent, I leave the babies alone until they look quite sturdy, then remove and separate.
Maybe that is not the best way.

I have found that if I don't remove the parent leaf, as long as it is not in the way of the babies, in time, it might send up another baby or two.

I've also read that leaving a slightly longer stem on a leaf that is planted will help the babies have stronger roots because they have longer to go to reach the surface. A leaf with a longer stem can be reused more easily.

(If babies are attached to the base of the leaf, I don't remove the parent, I might just trim it a bit.)

I know not to start a leaf it water, because water roots are replaced by soil roots, and the leaf might rot. However, I often start a leaf in water just until it gets the merest 1/4" root or two, then transfer it to the potting medium. These leaves usually "take." I do that because of something I read years ago.

I read that not all leaves will root, and secondly, not all leaves that root will produce babies, only "mother" leaves will reproduce. So I thought the water was a shortcut to seeing which leaves will root before committing them to being potted. My reasoning is that if I have used the pot and medium, but the leaf eventually wilts and dies, then I have wasted the space, time, and medium. Whereas, if the leaf has proved itself in water, it is usually a keeper.

However, I have observed that all leaves that root will eventually produce offspring, even though it might take months instead of a few weeks. So I don't think there are "mother" leaves and "neuter" leaves, only faster leaves and slower leaves.

When I put leaves in water temporarily, I use small clear, glass bowls. Because trial and error showed that worked best. But, I read recently, to use opaque glass containers if rooting in water.

Joanne

Comments (3)

• Karin
    10 years ago

I've never rooted AV's in water. Other things like ficus and bougainvillea though. Just until the little 'knobs' formed, then transplanted them to soil. Oh, and willow, hard not to root those.
    The idea of the opaque container is because roots are made to be underground. Exposed to light , they usually accumulate chlorophyll, or grow a bark (on trees), to protect themselves from burning. I assume that would hinder their function though. Not sure if it makes a difference if you are only looking to kick start the process...
    Opaque containers also inhibit the growth of algae, and will look prettier after a couple of weeks.

• Karin
    10 years ago

I've never rooted AV's in water. Other things like ficus and bougainvillea though. Just until the little 'knobs' formed, then transplanted them to soil. Oh, and willow, hard not to root those.
    The idea of the opaque container is because roots are made to be underground. Exposed to light , they usually accumulate chlorophyll, or grow a bark (on trees), to protect themselves from burning. I assume that would hinder their function though. Not sure if it makes a difference if you are only looking to kick start the process...
    Opaque containers also inhibit the growth of algae, and will look prettier after a couple of weeks.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

You are correct about 'mother' leaves. All violet leaves are capable of rooting and producing babies. There is much , however, that is subject to environment and variety, age of leaf, etc. which we all know and understand. But, as long as a leaf is healthy, it is capable of reproduction.

When you are separating plantlets, it is recommended to gently tease apart the plants rather than cut them from the mother leaf. Your mother leaf may or may not retain roots. If it does not, make a fresh cut and re-plant. If it does, just replant.

Many recommend planting a leaf with a short petiole in a shallow portion of soil. I have my best success with a long petiole in a deep soil. Some growers do not like the long petioles on the deeper babies but that works itself out quickly when they are potted up. I am not sure that the babies having farther to grow to reach the surface would have any affect on the roots.

When you are doing research, make sure it is fairly recent. There is so much new information and improved understanding of violet growing over the years that older research can be misleading and false.

Linda