Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbybol

I think my violet blooms had a 'hips.' Is that possible?

abbybol
15 years ago

I've had a healthy, blooming plain violet for a few years. When I was recently clipping dying blooms I noticed one of them had developed what looks like a rose hip in the middle of the bloom.

The growth looks like a miniature pear; it's vibrant green in color with a little purplish stem that matches the bloom. It's actually kind of cute, but I don't know if it's a bad thing...

I had to remove the dying bloom, but kept it and its growth in the fridge for a week now. What is it? What happens if I plant it or put it in water?

I'm new here and I apologize if this topic is common, but I couldn't find anything about it elsewhere.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

That "hips" is a seed pod. If you want, you can mark it so you do not cut it off and allow it to mature. It may take up to 9 months but you can see when the stem is dried that you can take it off.

You will get hundreds of seed. This was self-polonated or polonated by some insect.

Nancy

• Christine
    15 years ago

Hi Abbybol,

Like Nancy said, it takes several months for a seed pod to mature, so if you plant the new one that you just cut off, you won't get any seedlings.

However, for fun you might want to try creating and growing your own seed pods. Below is a link with more info. In the Choosing Parent Plants section, clicking the flower parts link will bring up photos, including a seed pod forming one that matches your growth description.

Violets don't often self-pollinate without "help", so if you get an unexpected seed pod, check the plant's blooms for small critters called thrips. They munch into the anthers and scatter pollen around which sometimes pollinates the plant.

Welcome to the forum - you can learn a lot here. I sure have!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybridizing African Violets

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I don't want to upset you but when I hear of an AV that self polinated the first thing I think of is thrips. I would suggest you check the blossoms on the plant to see if there is any pollen like spill on the petals. If you see something white, blow gently on it and if it moves it's thrips. A treatment of a spray will be needed to control and eradicate them. If nothing moves, then you more than likely have a clean plant. Let us know and I am sure someone here especially Nancy will be able to help.
    Fred in NJ

• abbybol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for your feedback.

Sadly, the seedpod accidentally fell off in my fingers when I discovered it. At this time my plant has no blooms, but I will be sure to watch for thrips in the future.

Thanks,
    Abby

• quintyoung
    15 years ago

After reading this I decided to look mine over and lo and behold, one of my Plumberry Glow plants has an anther that curled over and touched the stamen and it looks like the pod is green and swelling - I wonder if it's possible for them to be pollinated that way - I'll keep an eye on it!

• Christine
    15 years ago

Yes, it's possible Quintyoung. I spotted a seedpod on one of my plants, so I immediately looked for thrips. There were none. I then noticed the pistil was curved and the end had grown into the anther. Unfortunately, I later accidentally cut the seed pod off when removing dead blooms. I'll definitely mark any future seed pods so I don't do that again! Good luck with your Plumberry Glow pod.

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Donna -

just pollinate them yourself - do not wait for somebody else to do it. There is a whole theory how to get what you want - but if you just want to try - take the anther from one flower with the tweesers, nick it - and touch whatever pistils you can find.

YOu sure would have tons of seeds to start this coming spring.

I.