Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

I'm Infested with somethings but I don't know what :(

nwgatreasures
15 years ago

Obviously with everything going on in our family this week and me being in and out of the hospital with my daughter, I didn't pay daily attention to my plants/flowers.

I was playing catch-up this morning and noticed that I have these tiny, tiny worm like bugs crawling on my leaves. They are a whitish grey in color and I can't find my jeweler's loop to look at them close up.

A few of my leaves have what looks like powdery mildew, so I removed them and all of the flowers on this one shelf. I don't see any powdery substance on any of the flowers like what is described when you have thrips. I don't know what thrips bugs look like though. I can't see that these bugs "fly" when I get near them and when I try to wipe them off, they're just there.

What is my next step?

Dora

Comments (3)

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Dora,

If these are thrips, they spend most of their time in the blossom because the pollen is the food source. The 'powder' mentioned when thrips are present is the pollen that has spilled out of the sac onto the lower petals.

With thrips, if you gently blow on the blossom they will come out to see what is going on (nosy little buggers). It is easier to see them on a darker blossom. They will 'jump' onto leaves and run around too.

Thrips aren't fatal. Treatment includes removing all blossoms and spraying three times a week apart. They lay eggs, and that will take care of new hatches. I used Avid.

I have also taken plants and put them in a cardboard box. Cut a no-pest strip in half and place in the box for 24 hours, making sure the box is sealed. Do it 3 times, a week apart. I have also heard people putting the plants in a large plastic bag, soaking a paper towel with one of the garden sprays, and placing it in the bag, smae thing, 24 hours, 3 times. I don't remember which spray, but someone else on the forum will for sure. If using a no-pest strip, keep it in a sealed baggie when not in use.

Barbara

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Barbara,
    What has me so confused is that I can't find any powder whatsoever on any petals....every bit of it is on my larger leaves (standards). I also can't find these bugs in the flower anywhere - especially on the darker petals.

Whatever it is, it is crawling around but it doesn't fly or jump. Its about as big around as a piece of hair and crawls. Initially I thought aphids...but aphids that I've seen are more oval and these creatures are definitely long and narrow.

I have just spent the past hour plus taking all blooms off my plants and I'm getting ready to treat the entire collection with dysyston sprinkles and someone is bringing me some "conserve" to spray on Wednesday.

I like the idea of the self contained boxes or bags...but Lord! Well, nevermind - I'm not going to complain today :(

should I assume that it is thrips and treat it as such?

Dora

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will these bugs get inside my Chirita Tamnian seed pods? I'm pulling all blossoms off all of my plants and I want to know if I should trash these pods or can I keep them?

Dora