Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davemichigan

Flower Stabilization

davemichigan
14 years ago

A friend of mine gave me an AV leaf back in Dec. 2007. I had never seen the flowers on his plant before.

This is what it looked in August 2008, the first time my plants blossomed. There were 4 or 5 plantets but I didn't separate them.

{{gwi:381590}}

Note there is some purple tinge on the edge when they are budding, but the flowers turned almost all white when they are fully open, so I always described them as my "White African Violet."

Here is a picture of what they look a few days ago (December, 2009):

{{gwi:381591}}

Now they are clearly purple outside but white inside. I read that in daylilies and hostas sometimes it takes a couple of years before the flowers (or leaves in hostas) stabilize to its final form. Is it the same with AV?

I know they are from the same 4 or 5 plants from before because they are all still in the same container, but I don't know for sure if they 2 blooming right now are the exact two from last year. They are all from the same (one) Mama Leave though.

(I actually like the current flower "pattern" better than the just white last year.)

Comments (7)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

I like this years purple and white blooms best also!
    Sorry I'm too new to AV's to answer your question though. Surely someone will see this post and help you soon.,,,Debbie

• bspofford
    14 years ago

The blooms may change from one period to another, and can be affected by temperature, light, etc. It is true that the first blooms on a plant may not look like subsequent blooms.

It is also not unusual for a blooming plant to have variations of a bloom at the same time. I had "Iceberg" which is described as white with blue edge. One blossom was all white, one was all blue, and varying combinations in between.

Are you ready to separate those plants? That would give each plant an opportunity to grow the best that it can. And, until you do, or mark them in some way, there is no way to tell which plant had which blossoms.

Barbara

• davemichigan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbara, thanks for your reply.

I have also noticed that there are varations between plants although they come from the same parent leaf, like I have two plants blooming right now like the above, but the flowers from one are clearly darker than those from the other.

I will separate them after the bloom in order not to introduce shock while they are blooming.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Dave,
    Barbara is correct in that an AV may not bloom true in its first bloom. In fact if the original plant was not tested through three generations it may be unstable and continue to sport. Do you have any idea of what the name of the original plant was or was it a noid?
    Fred in NJ

• davemichigan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fred, knowing the student that gave me the leaf, I think it was a named variety (he likes to buy stuffs), but his plant has died for a year or two, and being a college student, he moved once or twice since (and threw away things) so I don't think he has the ID anymore.

Otherwise it would have been great because I would have a named AV. :-)

But I used to stick the leaf there without doing anything. Only starting last year did I get interested in AV. Will buy some leaves and seeds when the weather warms up a little.

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

Some of the babies have sported to a different color. They may or may not remain the same.

What you have with the red/purple is what is called a thumbprint and this type of flower is very popular right now. I love the thumbprints.

Nancy

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Try checking the Optimara site for an idea of what it might be. Although I don't recommend taking the name of any plant there especailly if you want to show it.
    Fred in NJ