Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

Anyone buy seeds from eBay?

Karin
10 years ago

Just wondering.
I've been reading up on hybridizing, and of course, I am too impatient to try and cross any of my limited selection.... Heck, they're still acclimatizing from the move and have a total of 2 flower stalks altogether, which I should probably remove too... So it would be even longer before I could entertain cross pollinating anything.

So, I was thinking of buying a pack of seeds, either 'miniatures' or 'variegated' just to try them (to give me a project - they don't name parents, so it would be an AV surprise package).
seen as it's winter, I didn't find anything else to look for anyways. January is when the local av society starts meeting again, and April is the Canadian av show. So there is hope for named varieties on the horizon...

Anyone have experience with eBay seeds?

Thanks

Karin

Comments (6)

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nvm, I'll just try and grow some patience ;-)

In the meantime, the place I got my minis from, had a 20% off sale, so I bought 3 more. Plus, I found a slightly variegated harster/anthoflores NOID at loblaws - first I wasn't going to buy it, then it bugged me and I had to go back for it :-)

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the little ones:

This post was edited by froeschli on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 10:20

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Karin
    Very pretty! Lots of variety.
    On an older thread, I asked about seeds as there is a supplier of seeds you can buy from directly without having to go on EBay. However, Linda (WhiteLacey) advised me that the seeds are not of the speciality varieties. They are the more common lavender or purple pansy shapes.
    If you did a search on this forum using the words "Starting seeds" you might find older postings by people who have started seeds and shown pix.
    Joanne

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Joanne, I actually worked my way through 8 or 9 pages of seed starting threads - only one had images of the outcomes :-(
    I guess it is a rather long time between start and bloom...
    Anyhow, I was just curious because most things I have read say to store the seeds in the actual seed pod, whereas sellers sell just a fraction of the seeds from a pod in a sleeve, so logically, they wouldn't be as fresh (?)
    I was looking at eBay, because the seller is in canada, which would save me a phyto certificate. And seeds, exactly because they can be a mixed bag of surprise - especially if you don't know the parentage :-)
    I may still get some, but I've got to finish unpacking first...
    And heck, I just dropped $10 on noids, why am I fussing about $7 for seeds anyways :-p

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

To explain a little further: even if the seeds are of a 'fancy' variety, selfed or crossed, the babies may bear little to no resemblance to the parents. What will emerge, for the most part, will be the dominant genes. These can be lovely, but are usually just plain violets.

Growing from seed is fun and interesting, just do not expect to replicate the parents. There has been so much crossing of violets over the years that their genetic make-up is very complex.

For $7.00, I'd give it a try!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Probably, it would be best to start seeds in the spring.
    Joanne

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath