Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
weak flowers

Posted by donivan2009 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 10:33

hey guys,
I have a question about the flowers on a couple of my plants.

One of them looks healthy and happy except that the flowers stems seem weak. Almost as if the flowers are too heavy for the stalk and they lean over and the flower doesn't stand up like they used too. It still has little blossoms but sometimes they never open and die off, other times they open and bloom, but lean over like the rest. All the leaves and foliage look healthy and strong. What's the problem?

Another plant of mine has a different problem. All the flowers, including new blooms, have a white stain all over them. At first I thought it was botrytis and powdery mildew, but the white stuff doesn't clean off. Its a stain. New blooms open up with the white stuff all over them. Now, recently, the flowers are dieing off rather quickly. they turn brown and wilt faster than before. It still puts out new blooms though, and all the foliage looks beautiful and clean! Whats going on with my plants? Someone please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: weak flowers

I'm sure someone can guess but if you know the varieties and could tell us what soil mixture and fertilization you use, it might help. (Some varieties do have weak flower stems in relation to the size of the blooms.)

Diana

o
RE: weak flowers

Would be nice if you could post pics.

Usually if the plant is healthy - the flowers are as well - unless it is a weak stem variety as Diana mentioned. Something else is going on.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here