Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyrose_2010

Violet Leaves Crowding Bloom?

amyrose_2010
14 years ago

I'm growing a African Violet in my office. It has always been in bloom with no fertilzer or anything. My ones at home require more love. But, for the first time, it is not in bloom. It seems the area in the middle where the blooms come out have been crowded in with leaves. Is this something that can happen? Can I fix it?

Comments (4)

• Christine
    14 years ago

It could be normal. After blooming constantly for so long, the plant may just be taking a break.

The lack of blooming could also be caused by something easy to fix, such as needing to be repotted and/or fertilized. You say you haven't been fertilizing. If it has been more than eight months or so since it was repotted, now would be a good time to do that and also give it some fertilizer. It needs a little love too! :~)

There are many other causes for lack of blooming (see Why Won't My Violets Bloom? at http://www.avsa.org/VioletBloom.htm

However, you mentioned the crown leaves are crowded. Do they look normal or are they curled up, tight, and deformed? If the leaves are tight and deformed, click on the link below for possible causes and solutions. Again, the solution could be easy (e.g., give it less light, repot the plant, etc.) or more involved (e.g., treat for mites).

Good luck on finding a solution. Your plant sounds like a terrific blooming one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Optimara: Deformed Crown Causes

• amyrose_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Interesting. It has actually started to bloom again, but it seems there are only two stems of blooms instead of many, like there usually is. It really looks like it's been taken over by the leaves. Like the blooms have to push their way around the leaves to get some sun. The leaves are all healthy and normal looking around the crown. I will for sure fertilize it but the pot seems to be the right size. The leaves on the outside of the plant slowly die off and I pinch them off. the bloom is just getting smaller and smaller and less frequent. It looks like it's eventually going to just be a plant of leaves. Thanks for the input!

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I would still repot the plant. Take it out of the present pot, get as much of the old mix off as you can without destroying the root structure as possible and put it into fresh mix. The pot should be 1/3 the size of the crown of the plant. While you are repotting, check the symmetry and remove all dead, wilted and discolored leaves.
    Fred in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Amy when we mention re-potting it doesn't mean you have to put it in a different pot. You can remove the old soil as mentioned and with fresh soil put it back in the same pot you removed it from in the first place. So no moving it to a bigger pot if it's still the right size for it.
    Depending how long it's been since you changed the soil all the nutrients in the soil the plant needs may be used up. Could be a part of why it's slowing down on it's blooming and making less bloom stalks. Believe me when those stalks want out from under the leaves they find a way. haha.
    I use a diluted fraction of fertilizer each time I water. Maybe your plant would love some too. Would be easy to keep a small baby food jar of fertilizer in your desk.
    Let us know if it perks up and starts blooming with more bloom stalks again after its spa treatment.,,,Debbie