Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nature_lover22

obtaining seeds from violet plants

nature_lover22
14 years ago

I have one violet that appears to have produced a "seed head" on several blooms. I am experienced with saving seeds and planting them from other flowers; however I have never had an african violet bloom that produced (what appears to be) a seed pod. With the other pods, I waited until the pod dried and tried to look/obtain some tiny seeds. About one week ago, I planted what I thought to be the seeds. I don't think I will have success with these. There is one more seed pod maturing. I would love to be able to grow a few violets from my own seeds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• nature_lover22
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! I can be very patient!

• kaslkaos
    14 years ago

I had the same thing happen, I saved the seed, but haven't tried starting them yet. I think I'll try mine in spring, as I keep a cold house in winter. It's from a named violet hybrid too, so I'd love to see it's progeny.

• sewwht
    14 years ago

Is a seed pod on an AV really rare, or haven't I looked close enough? About how big is the pod? I'm going to keep a look out for one.

• koray
    14 years ago

It is winter here in Turkiye actually the same season as Newyork. But i am lucky to propagate from seed. I use a green house made from a plastic shoe box. There is a scanner transparancy adapter :) on it with a timer for obtaining automatic 12 hours of light. High humidity and more. Wait for just 8 days for the seed to open. There are are some pictures of mine for you in my blog. I am propagating from seed and i took macro photographs of them. If you have more questions i will answer. Do not hesitate to ask.

http://evdetarim.blogspot.com/2009/12/african-violet-seed-propagation.html

• koray
    14 years ago

More photos of my dry and fresh seed and fruit of african violet. I guess i took the best photos of this subject because i could not find better on the net till now.

http://evdetarim.blogspot.com/2009/03/afrika-meneksesi-tohumu-african-violet.html

• Christine
    14 years ago

Those are great pictures Koray! When I decided to make a cross I couldn't find many photos at all of pods, seeds, and seedling growth stages.

Sewwht, African Violets don't readily self-pollinate. Sometimes they do if the reproductive parts grow into each other. Usually the plants depend on critters (like thrips) for pollination, so if you see pods, check for thrips! It's easy to pollinate flowers yourself. Here's one site with instructions: http://www.grownotes.com/hybridizing-african-violets/

After your seeds mature there are a number of ways to grow them. Below is a link for one photo-illustrated how-to site.

I think it's really exciting to grow from seeds because of the surprise of seeing what the flowers finally look like.

Nature Lover22, please let us know once you see sprouts!

Here is a link that might be useful: Janet's Low-Tech Method for Starting African Violets from Seed

• HU-617915867
    3 years ago

First you must have a light soil, check with a greenhouse. Then gently spread the tiny, tiny African violet seeds on top of the soil. Do not cover. Gently spray to keep moist and keep in a window with filtered light. Keep them in warm parts of the house. Maybe cover with plastic to keep in moisture. Watch and wait.