Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaityinoregon

Jolly Orchid

kaityinoregon
9 years ago

Thought it would be fun to post of pic of this one. It is planted in a 1.5" oyama pot and the blooms have over taken the plant! I love the ombre effect of those flowers ;-)

Comments (10)

• kaityinoregon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

the african violet, i like them. light set up first, then african violet collection...

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

It's beautiful, Kaityc!!! I'm impressed with the number of blossoms, too. It has the WOW factor. :)

Sue

• dixiebug
    9 years ago

Very beautiful! I have leaves down of this plant. Can't wait for mine to look like yours.

Dixie

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Wow! I just added to my wish list! It looks wonderful!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful plant and photo. Looks like it is a 2015 calendar photo! Happy jolly New Year! Joanne

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Beautiful plant.

I had ... and lost Jolly Orchid and Winnergreen.

I'm better with the standards.

Any tips on growing the mini's and semi-mini's ???

• marty-1
    9 years ago

You probably know all this, Aegis, but some tips include:
    1. Increased light requirement over standards-so if you can place lights ~2-3" closer may be beneficial
    2. Using an appropriate size pot is very important; 2.5" is the largest you should ever use, down to 2" for a micro-mini or a baby/small mini-you should have 2", 2.25", and 2.5 to chose from
    3. Benefit will accrue from repotting with pruning every 4-6 months
    4. If they are rotting on you, a little more perlite in the mix can be beneficial
    I hope this helps
    Marty

• marty-1
    9 years ago

You probably know all this, Aegis, but some tips include:
    1. Increased light requirement over standards-so if you can place lights ~2-3" closer may be beneficial
    2. Using an appropriate size pot is very important; 2.5" is the largest you should ever use, down to 2" for a micro-mini or a baby/small mini-you should have 2", 2.25", and 2.5 to chose from
    3. Benefit will accrue from repotting with pruning every 4-6 months
    4. If they are rotting on you, a little more perlite in the mix can be beneficial
    I hope this helps
    Marty

• kaityinoregon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry. No special tips here as i am still figuring this out too! I have all of my plants in 1.5" Oyama Pots or little plastic condiment cups with wicks. The condiment cups are still way to big for the "pot needs to be 1/3 the size of the plant" rule. I just moved some over to oyama about a month ago as i have been having trough with the wicks consistently working.... not sure why. All my plants are under a shop light about 12" from the bulbs and seem to like it. I had them 8" as some had suggested but that seemed way to bright for them and bleached out a few of the variegated varieties.