Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnycat_gw

Your favorite heavy blooming standards?

bunnycat
12 years ago

I don't have much room to add to my little collection. It is obvious that some perform better than others. I really appreciate the ones that put on a big show.

Any recommendations? (Pictures would be nice too!)

~Bunnycat

Comments (7)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Frozen in Time if you like green - it will stay in bloom forever - all greens do it. Okie's Easter Bunny is quite floriferous in my conditions. Harbor Blue is exceptonal There are older varieties that may be do not bloom all the time - but when they bloom - the WOW factor is incredible - old large ones - Tiger, Tiger's Son, Anna Kreek, Picasso, Fisherman's Paradise - they are variegated - so the bloom is not non-stop, but the leaves are so beautiful - the plant looks nioce even in-between.

If you have just so much space - I would go for Rob's trailers - they take as much space as a standard - but they really bloom non-stop.

Irina

• pembroke
    12 years ago

I would have to go with Frozen In Time. Blooms year around for me and holds blooms like they were frozen in time. Easy to take care of too. Pembroke

• bunnycat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Irina and Pembroke for the quick responses.

I just looked at Frozen in Time on the Violet Barn site. It is absolutely covered in blooms. Wow!

I saw pictures somewhere of Harbor Blue and Fisherman's Paradise. I think that I stumbled onto photos taken at a show. Put them on my wishlist. Will have to do a search for the others.

Who sells the oldies?

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Cedar Creek Violets, Violet Gallery. Too late this season unless they ship with a heatpack. It is 11 am - and it is still 14F in Denver.

I.

• bunnycat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the leads, Irina. So far we do not have our usual bitter cold. Heat packs must make shipping very expensive. I'll probably wait until spring But your suggestions will give me some sites to look at while waiting for my DH in the ER. Planning ahead is almost as much fun as ordering.
    Bunnycat

• bunnycat
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to say that Saturday I found a photo of an enormous "Tiger" in the archived posts. It's big like dogviolet's tree-like violet. I guess I see why so many people like the minis and semi-minis. The giants really gobble up space.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Hmmm - I think some people are into good stuff comes in small packages, some - bigger means better. (That's me, I guess)

I have Tiger blooming right now and it is a humble 20", takes half of the tray. But the WOW factor for this thingie is something else, What's better - 10 puny ones or The Statement Violet. ;-))

I think we all need to get out of our comfort zone - and try different things - you need to try a large one - and I a micro mini...
    Doesnt' mean that we need to have more than 1 of each.

Good Luck

irina

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz