Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your favorite heavy blooming standards?

Posted by bunnycat z6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 2, 11 at 14:23

I don't have much room to add to my little collection. It is obvious that some perform better than others. I really appreciate the ones that put on a big show.
Any recommendations? (Pictures would be nice too!)
~Bunnycat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your favorite heavy blooming standards?

Frozen in Time if you like green - it will stay in bloom forever - all greens do it. Okie's Easter Bunny is quite floriferous in my conditions. Harbor Blue is exceptonal There are older varieties that may be do not bloom all the time - but when they bloom - the WOW factor is incredible - old large ones - Tiger, Tiger's Son, Anna Kreek, Picasso, Fisherman's Paradise - they are variegated - so the bloom is not non-stop, but the leaves are so beautiful - the plant looks nioce even in-between.

If you have just so much space - I would go for Rob's trailers - they take as much space as a standard - but they really bloom non-stop.

Irina

o

I would have to go with Frozen In Time. Blooms year around for me and holds blooms like they were frozen in time. Easy to take care of too. Pembroke

o

Thank you Irina and Pembroke for the quick responses.

I just looked at Frozen in Time on the Violet Barn site. It is absolutely covered in blooms. Wow!

I saw pictures somewhere of Harbor Blue and Fisherman's Paradise. I think that I stumbled onto photos taken at a show. Put them on my wishlist. Will have to do a search for the others.

Who sells the oldies?

o

Cedar Creek Violets, Violet Gallery. Too late this season unless they ship with a heatpack. It is 11 am - and it is still 14F in Denver.

I.

o

Thanks for the leads, Irina. So far we do not have our usual bitter cold. Heat packs must make shipping very expensive. I'll probably wait until spring But your suggestions will give me some sites to look at while waiting for my DH in the ER. Planning ahead is almost as much fun as ordering.
Bunnycat

o
RE: Your favorite heavy blooming standards

Forgot to say that Saturday I found a photo of an enormous "Tiger" in the archived posts. It's big like dogviolet's tree-like violet. I guess I see why so many people like the minis and semi-minis. The giants really gobble up space.

o

Hmmm - I think some people are into good stuff comes in small packages, some - bigger means better. (That's me, I guess)

I have Tiger blooming right now and it is a humble 20", takes half of the tray. But the WOW factor for this thingie is something else, What's better - 10 puny ones or The Statement Violet. ;-))

I think we all need to get out of our comfort zone - and try different things - you need to try a large one - and I a micro mini...
Doesnt' mean that we need to have more than 1 of each.

Good Luck

irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here