Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

AV instruction sheet ideas?

fortyseven_gw
9 years ago

Hi All, Does anyone have a fav AV instruction sheet? I saw one online at African violet care Purdue that is two pages. I want to print them for when I give AVs as gifts. This sheet is good but doesn't explain key facts such as that the leaves grow in 3's from the crown, so leave the crown alone. Or removing side suckers to propagate, etc. I have books but just wanted a simple "cheat sheet" with line art. Any tips welcome. Thanks! Joanne

Comments (11)

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Joanne
    The best advice I could offer is to direct people to this forum even though a simple instruction sheet would also be very helpful. When you have finished, please post so we can benefit from all the good advice!
    Include this Address along with a 'Y'all come, Y' hear.'
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/afrviolet/

This post was edited by lucky123 on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 14:32

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Lucky, Thanks, great advice! I also found a "cheat sheet" at Rob's and one at Optimara. I will cut and paste
    and swipe some line drawings and create my own! Joanne

• Karin
    9 years ago

sounds great. i'd offer to do one, but it'd take me years to do the line drawings ;-p

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice to know that you draw, too!
    I found some nice line art on the web. I like to emphasize the geometrical shapes of the plant and flowers.
    If I get a sheet put together, will post.

• Karin
    9 years ago

well, i used to, these days, i tell people "It's ABSTRACT ON PURPOSE".
    you never appreciate that drawing takes practice too. until you don't do it for a while...
    if you "borrow" the line art, please give credit to the artist ;-)

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Yes, I would give credit to the artist. I found some geometric spiral art drawings that convey the idea I had in mind. This is just for a little packet of information for club members to enjoy and use.
    I used to draw also, it is enjoyable but time consuming. Although we primarily raise violets as household ornaments, they must have served an original purpose in nature. It would be interesting to find some articles on that topic. I was repotting some outside during the fall season when suddenly an army of winged insects appeared out of nowhere and began their march towards the violets. Fortunately, they were crawling, not flying. Having the violets outside just for 15 minutes was like waving cotton candy to a bunch of kids. Hybridizers have found the violets to be so adaptable and morph so easily. There must have been a purpose in nature, aside from decorating craggy rocks in primitive forests, or looking lovely on window sills.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Joanne,

I am emailing you a set of basic AV instructions I collected and put together a year or so ago.

It's (4) pages, though ...

• Karin
    9 years ago

In the old posts on this forum, I found Fred Hill mentioning care instructions - does anyone still have them?

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi! Wow, Thanks! I quickly realized that two pages is not quite long enough if I want to include graphics.
    I remember enjoying reading old posts of Fred Hill. But by the time I joined the Forum, it was too late to ask him for them.
    I have found a few web resources to add to my "collection" to pull ideas from also! Joanne

• lola8325 zone5KS
    9 years ago

Hi Joanne,
    Maybe the following link will have some graphics that will help you. I found it very interesting a few months ago when I came across it.

http://violetvoice.blogspot.com/search/label/grooming

Scroll down to SYMMETRY IN YOUR PLANTS by
    Nancy Robitaille

Enjoy...Lola8325

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Lola! Nancy used to post on this forum, I saw
    her name in some old archived threads.
    It also showed the triangular symmetry, with a drawing.
    I finally "got" it!
    I do have the book Growing to Show, but I was never
    able to "see" the three-leaf symmetry before!
    It will make grooming plants a lot easier, knowing that
    symmetry is built in.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 2:45