Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planthoarder

How's the lighting going? Anyone figure theres out!

planthoarder
14 years ago

Hi Everyone, How's everyones lighting configurations coming along? Debbie,your stand and lighting is just great! I love the enclosed stand,must keep them nice and toasty.Do you have a thermometer to check the temp or pretty much you don't worry about it? As to my situation with my aquariun,the one light situation seems to be working fine,all seem happy and healthy and growing nicely.The light is over about 40 small plants and seems to be doing the trick,although I do wonder if I had another light would it improve them even more? Hmmm!The aqurium is in my sunroom and is on the bottom shelf of my one plant stand and it does get the light coming in the windows also so that is maybe enough? My tank measures 12 inches by 30 inches. Debbie,I see that your shelves are 19 by 27 and you say one light bulb is doing the trick(lots of buds and blooms) so maybe I just will leave it the way it is.I see that the stand also gets the light coming in from the window also,right? BTW did you receive your plants? How were they?What u had expected I hope! Happy Growing, Linda In NJ

Comments (26)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Linda!
    No thermometer in the zip GH. They seem happy and it doesn't get steamy hot in there since it's winter. In Summer I figure I'll have to remove the zip cover because they might could roast,,,or possible I could just tie up the doorway since the a/c would keep it possibly cool enough depending where I sat it up at. I'll have to see when the time comes.
    The plant stand is set in front of my window A/C for now so part of the window is taken up with the A/C. The top shelf does get light but at an angle since the plants sit lower than the height of the window glass. The plants do get a bit of light from the window beside the stand but not much.
    Come June I'll have to move the plant stand to turn on the a/c. Lawd knows where I'll end up putting it. haha. I may shut it down till Fall because I have a bigger zip greenhouse in another room that I empty out and the plants go outside for Spring till Fall. I could move the AV's into it and spread them out. The shelves in it are 40 inches long. Had I started with AV's earlier in the year they would of gotten that greenhouse but a pain to move all now so I'll wait till Spring.
    I did get my plant orders and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Alot were smaller than I figured they would be. Don;t get me wrong they are healthy but some were pretty dinky small. But they will grow. haha. I'm guessing end of the year and everyone orders right before winter so I just got some tail end of the year plants. I will try them again and give a second chance if I see they have something I want.
    The leaf orders were fantastic! I got nice healthy crisp fresh leaves from all. All are set in their cups and I'm awaiting roots.
    Past few days I've been seeing mouse ears coming out from under the soil of my earliest planted leaves. I'm so excited! Means trade material come Spring besides being my first accomplishments with rooting leaves. I tried and conquered and am thus far winning! haha.
    There is another plant stand that zips I'd like to get. It has the 40 inch shelves like my other one but is $72. If I remember right it had free shipping which would help but with Xmas here I can't afford it right now. After all how do you tell your family and friends no gifts for ya'll I want a new plant stand. hahaha. I'll check on it after the holidays. Hopefully I saved the link somewhere.
    Your aquarium with 1 light sounds fine. The plants will let you know if they need more light by not blooming or reaching up their little leaf arms begging. I'd watch and wait and let them settle in and see how they do.,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi There Debbie, My computer broke down for several weeks and took the son a bit longer than expected to fix it. But it is up and running and I just got to see this reply. How are all your babies doing? Mine are all fine and thanks to this site they have helped me along with taking care of them all. Question for you, did you buy a chimera from a seller in florida on ebay? If so I was wondering how pleased you were with it and the seller? I am considering also purchasing from her. I have bought from several sellers on ebay and have been pleased and was wondering if u were also pleased. Take care, Linda in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hey Linda!
    Yes as a matter of fact I did buy a Chimera from a FL. seller. I was very happy with it. It arrived in bloom! The seller had accidently put the wrong zip code on the box so it took a couple extra days and I was scared to open the box but it was perfect. Have no worries and buy ya one. The pictured plant in her auctions is the plant you receive.
    All my AV babies are doing great and my mouse ears from my rooted leaves are growing into guinea pig ears now. haha. Soon I'll have to separate them.
    I have new bloom stalks growing on ones I haven't seen bloom yet so I'm excited about that!
    My Siamese kitten (Gidget) I am finding is a leaf stealer when you turn your back. She will pluck out rooting leaves and run off with them. Heck I even caught her dragging off a whole plant in the 3 oz. solo cup! I now know to watch her closely when I water. haha. My older Siamese cat (Delilah) just sits and watches when I work on my plants. She must of been a gardener in a previous life. haha. Gardening seems to relax her as much as it does me. If only Gidget would act the same. haha.
    Glad to hear your pc is back up and running again! Pc probs are the pits!
    Happy growing!,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Debbie, Oh yes the excitement of anticipated blooms,how wonderful for you! I put down some leaves in early december so I still have a bit of a wait to see any ears but I wait patiently. Haha Well I think I will be gettin me a chimera from her thank you for your comment on her.Greatly appreciated! I guess Gidget wants to be a gardener and is trying to get hands on experience! Haha Needs to learn to be a watcher like Delilah. Well happy growing and I guess you could get some good excersise chasing down your plants! haha Linda in NJ

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Linda.
    I jsut notoiced that you are from NJ where in NJ are you.
    FRed in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hey Linda!
    Will this be your first Chimera? The one I bought is but I have a feeling come Spring I will buy a mini variegated leaf type. I really would love to get one named Lucky Ducky! I will probably get a pinwheel type bloom one as well. There is a green and white pinwheel flowered one that's pretty too. I wonder if there is a Noah's ark plant stand? I need one for 2 of everything! haha.
    Maybe in time Gidget will get the idea and not try to start her own plant collection. I ain't holding my breath though! haha. If it's not finding AV leaves in strange places it's finding cat toys in the bath tub! haha.
    Do you have any Streptocarpus yet? They are so easy. I won 2 the other day and already had 4. Couple more of the Streps. have caught my eye that I want in time to get.,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Fred, I am in Woodbridge NJ and I tried to email you a quick note the other day but it said the system was too busy,never came across that before anyway I forgot about it since and I am glad you wrote this message I will try again. I saw that you share some pages of information with av lovers and would also like to receive them from you if thats possible. I will try sending you that email right now. Thanks for reminding me :), Linda in Woodbridge,NJ

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi there Debbie, Yes,it would be my first chimera. I did see on Robs site Lucky Ducky,but as I recall it was out of stock and a whopping 25.00 dollars! I am going to buy some chimeras,they look darling.I have been eyeing the streps and will probably purchase some in the future,especially since you say they are easy. I like easy! haha 2 of everything sounds good to me,I will keep my eye out for that stand for you!haha Well Happy growing, Linda in NJ

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

HI Linda,
    Received your email and sent back the info you asked for plus some stuff on local clubs.
    Fred in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hi Linda!
    Today I removed some suckers off AV's for the first time. I got 1 off Senk's Fruit Fly and 3 off one named Tsunami. Thankfully though I wasn't sure I if I was doing it right or not I got some roots with all of them. haha. I do hope they do alright and live. I used an exacto knife to do the surgery. It worked like a charm.
    Yes I know I always fall in love with ones that cost the most it seems sometimes. Lucky Ducky is one of those. haha. I am hoping I find someone with a sucker to trade of it this Spring or I find one cheaper on Ebay. Time will tell.
    I saw bloom stalks coming on 3 I've not seen bloom yet for me. Alliance, Willow the Wasp and Celery. That will be fun to see what the blooms look like when they mature and open.
    Yes I am finding the Strep's. easy. Unlike the AV's who like to stay moist the Strep's prefer to dry out before being watered. Strep's normally aren't wicked because of this trait.
    Your ID sounds so familiar to me,,,have we traded before in the past? I just feel like we have had contact before.
    So what AV trials and tribulations did you do or have today?,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Debbie, It sure is nice having you as an AV buddy! Seems like we are doing the same things, Yesterday I too did some surgery on an oldie I have that I transplanted about a month ago. It had 3 plants in the pot(a standard size violet)and I put them in their own pots. One was big and had a sucker on it,I just left it and repotted(never did surgery before and I was a bit scared since she always bloomed wonderfully for me, So I took a look at her yesterday and she had grown 2 more suckers I was amazed and frightened at the same time! haha So I thought I better get out the knife and try this surgery thing.haha Well I think it went fine,we shall see. I cut them all off and potted them up and stuck them in plastic bags and put them on the coffee table where they are basking in some sun for a few hours. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw those suckers,it was a nightmare come true. I was not wanting to ever have to do that as I read Raven had to do with her Eve. Well guess we are av MD's now haha. Hope our surgeries worked and our patients survive! 3 getting ready to bloom,thats wonderful! I have been eyeing up Alliance but as I said I am looking to get some chimeras.So I will wait. I like to buy from sellers on ebay who have alot that I want so I get my monies worth on the shipping charges. I am waiting for an order of 22 coming from a seller on ebay with perfect five stars feedback and everyone says nice things so I decided to buy from them,also they had free shipping if you bought 20 or more and a reduced holiday pricing for xmas.It was an xmas gift from the HUBBY! I also won some chimeras last night from another ebay seller with 5 star rating and customer raving feedback,I am going to shoot for 6 of them as that is what will fit in there box. I wanted to buy some from the seller I asked you about but she only had up Av's and I am looking for Harmonys Little Stinker from her. She had a few up in the past and they looked GREAT. I will just keep my eye out for her listings. Well guess I chewed your ear enough today.Haha Take care and Happy Growing! Linda in NJ P.S- I have never traded as I just joined this forum in December 09 and I just started collecting named violets and I didn't even know about minis,semis,varigated,trailers and so on until bumping in to them on ebay and then finding this forum ,all my oldies are standard noids that I collected over the years and of course enjoy them immensely even without a name!haha

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi There Fred,
    Thank U for the information sheets, Greatly Appreciated. Someone on a thread here said you had posted something in the past about lighting set up(maybe a pic?)and that was what I was interested in seeing or reading. Wow,you grow for show that must be exciting!
    Hi All!
    I just started my collection 12/09 of semis,minis,varigated,trailers etc.. I never knew about anything other than the stardard violets and that is what I have most of that are no names collected over the years that I truely enjoy very much. Bumped into the others on ebay and then found this forum and Ouch!Something just bit me,and the fever for these types began.haha I would love to know where there are shows or conventions that I can go to and admire and maybe purchase these lovelies. Take care and Happy Growing, Linda In NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hi Linda!
    Did the suckers you removed have any roots at all? A few of mine did because they were low enough on the plant plus I cut them close to the stalk.
    Both the AV's I took the suckers off of are trailers. They are young plants so it was Fruit Flies first one. Tsunami had quite a few and I did leave some on the plant.
    The Fruit Fly plant is a perfect plant at the moment. The leaves and growth are perfect. I got the sucker off prior I guess to it disfiguring the plant. I will let the sucker grow as a trailer probably. My thoughts are I'll let the Mom plant grow as a single plant as long as it stays in such fine form.
    Alliance I received as a freebie plant when I placed an order. I hope it blooms as pretty as pics I've seen of it. I also took a leaf and rooted it and it is peeking 'ears' now! So come Spring maybe we could trade if you'd like.
    Don't worry and fret about how to trade. I've been trading in Gardenweb since 2000. Not AV's but Hoya's and other plants. I could help you with how to pack boxes and such. For AV's I just watched how sellers packed and sent my winning boxes to me to learn how. It's so fun to trade!
    I def agree with you on checking what all a seller has available. I too like to get more bang for the buck when it comes to shipping.
    I also check their feedback. That helps give me a sense of security when they have alot of feedback and are still at 100%.
    Yes I'm very happy with my H. Little Stinker from her and I even like the flowers on it. They are a blue with a white eye. Some told me the flowers weren't anything to write home about but I like them just the same. haha.
    I really enjoy you as an AV buddette also! Do you have MSN messenger by chance? If so shoot me an email with your ID email address for it. You can email me by clicking where it says My Page by my okie_deb. Then we could chat anytime if you'd like. I have Yahoo messenger but just never turn it on anymore. I'll be watching for your email to me.,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Debbie,
    I got one off with roots and the main plant still had some roots left,the others I planted with none but all are still looking good this morning.:) I have had this plant forever and she did grow 3 other plants for me over the years that I still have also,don't even remember how they got in her pot but when I went to repot there they were over the years.I never had to cut them off of her. How do you figure out a sucker on a trailer? I have a couple but am too new to them to tell,they are also babies. Glad you are pleased with the little stinker, I will hope she lists more and get one. I'm not sure what we have I remember years ago we had something like(MSN) that but I believe it was called something else,I will check and see what we have to chat,my husband knows more and I will get his help when he gets home from work tonight. About trades I would love to trade, I just worry about what most size plants people trade since I am just starting out too and mine are pretty small yet. I wouldn't want to not be of equal trade with someone and so maybe you can answer these questions for me and guide me.Do you send people pics of what you have to trade? What do people look for in trading? What is meant by would rather have plants as trades instead of postage or something like that I read? Well Take care,keep warm and happy growing, Linda in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Heck Linda I only started in Oct. '09 with AV's so I only have a couple months on you. haha. You didn't realize that? Some of the plants I bought are mature and some were just small rooted plants. They are growing for me though nicely and by May (our freeze cut off is April 15th here) they will have grown even more. So will your plants.
    As far as being able to tell a sucker on a trailer. I just cut off a part that had its own stalk and group of leaves. I called it a sucker but I guess I should of called it a division since I was working on a trailing type. Oops!
    Let me know what you find out from your husband on the messenger thing.
    Some people don't have a plantlet to trade so they trade a leaf or 2 off their plant. Leaves can after all be rooted by the receiver. You just pick a nice healthy and sturdy leaf off your plant. Preferably from the middle ring of leaves. The outside older leaves will root and make a plantlet but the center ring of leaves I've read make more babies and faster than the older bottom leaves.
    Plantlet you should know the plantlet and how well it's been doing,,,has it been struggling or is it trudging right along full force and strong. About the size you will separate your rooted leaf babies that have rooted and probably a month after that so they can get adjusted. I really can't describe it but believe me you will know.
    Pictures are a great way to show what is up for trade. That way no surprises and each can decide if they agree.
    When someone says they would prefer plants instead of postage it means they want to trade for plants with the other person. Some people have too many plants and will at times offer them for the price of shipping cost (postage) and not want anything in return. Some people also may see an offer of plants and not have anything to trade the person and ask if the person would accept postage cost.
    Do be careful when sending boxes for the shipping cost.Be sure to receive the shipping money either through PayPal or in snail mail FIRST before shipping the plants to the person. Many people have been burned by a promise of postage and never receiving it. Yet they out of their own pocket went ahead and had sent the box off on good faith the money had been sent. You've heard the old saying "the checks in the mail". Sad but true that there are people who pray on good hearted plant people. Just be aware.
    As far as what people look for in trading,,that depends on the persons plant interest. People don't have to trade AV for AV,,,a trade could be AV for Hoya's or daylilies or cactus. It's between 2 people to decide. Everyone does want to receive healthy critter free items though. Rule of thumb I ask myself is,,,if I received this plant I'm sending this other person in the mail would I be happy with it. I send out what I would like to receive in other words.If I'd be happy myself mostly they will be too.
    Sunday we have warmth coming again,,,we are to get to 38 that day and on into 40's Tues. and Wed. The nights will still be in 20's but days will be better. How long will this last? I haven't a clue. My luck just a day or 2. haha.
    Stay warm,,that's my plan!,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Debbie,
    Busy around here,had a few visitors. Anyway, we didn't have that chat board so I did some looking into it and downloaded it,I am going to see if it works.
    No, I didn't know you just started collecting AV's.Well it sure sounds like fun trading and I agree I would want to send something I would also like to receive. That is a good way to go I think. I think that my plants are just a bit behind yours if you started only 2 months ahead of me,so I guess it could work. I would hope that there aren't too many bad people out there who cheat on the trading but as you said got to be a bit careful in some ways.Wouldn't want to lose money on paying for postage,thats for sure. It sounds nice that some people will trade for many differant kinds of plants,could let you get started on something else! haha Well Happy Growing and I will try the chat, Linda in NJ P.S.- I saw you asked about wicking help,hows it going?

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hi Linda! I'm so happy you downloaded the messenger and you found me! Now we don't have to bore the forum with our ongoing small talk. haha.
    No on the most part I have had excellent trades in my years in GW. I only had 1 lady cheat me. She said she had sent out to me and never did. She did receive what I had sent her. So all in all don't let being cheated stop you from all the good traders that are out there. They're far more good traders out there than bad.
    That's all I need is addicted to yet another type plant! I already am with AV's, Strep's, Hoya's and miniature orchids. That's more than enough to coo over and keep me busy! haha.
    Plus outside I'm nuts about Clematis. I have lots of those scattered all over my yard. They do well here in Oklahoma and are pretty to boot.
    See ya in chat!,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Debbie,
    Have a few clematis myself,love em too. I have hostas(just started this collection) and daylilies(a ton of these!started 2 yrs ago)Anyway had to take a trip to PA and came back and forgot my password and my email was down so I couldn't get into MSN,I just sent you a note there. So anyway I totally recommend Jacksviolets to all,my order of 22 was FANTASTIC only 1 starter plant in all. They are beautiful large plants,and you were right the green dragon was huge! I would say RUN to there site and buy buy buy! I just ordered another bunch! Love the buy it now! Also the chimeras came and they are ABSOLUTELY lovely and adorable,huge healthy roots too, all in bloom too! I am definately going to get more from that guy on ebay! Oh well Happy Growing, Linda in NJ

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Linda.
    IF you are interested in going to shows, there are quite a few in this area in the spring. If you go to the AVSA site and check out the affiliates you will find a contact or a notice of their show. A few clubs begin in March and some are in April and May. My club Garden State AVC has its show the first weekend in May at the Mercer County Community College.
    There is also a National Convention every spring. This year it's being held in Raleigh, NC, however next year (2011) its going to be in Cherry Hill, NJ. The AVSA site can give you all the info on this years site and will eventually publish the info on their website for next year generally after the summmer.
    Fred in NJ
    Ps If you have a web cam, I am on skype and we could speak face to face.

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Fred,
    I did some looking around on the site and found some events I would be interested in attending. I see, was it your club had a show and plant sale in phila? My husbands parents live down that way.I will look forward to the convention in Cherry Hill! I would love to also make it to your clubs event in May.They have great info on this site as to the events,thanks so much. I do not have a web cam but have been interested in getting one for some time,maybe nows the right time to get one. Happy Growing, Linda in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Linda,
    I took your advice and bought 3 of Jack's plants. You little enabler you! haha. I got Sunkissed Rose, Green Dragon and Frosty Frolic. He said in his email he would be shipping to me today (Tues.)! Soon I will get to see what your talking about!
    I'm also getting a yellow flower order put together to order from Iceberg.
    My new stand has been shipped and is scheduled to arrive Thurs. I'm trying to figure a good place to put it.
    I do so enjoy our chats in MSN! Glad we found each other and have became AV buddette's! Don't forget that password again! haha.
    See ya in chat!,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Debbie,
    So your stand is coming Thursday,Wonderful! Putting together an order for iceberg,you ain't wastin' no time are ya! You go girl! I'm hoping your plants from Jacks are as GREAT as mine when they come! Otherwise I will feel horrible! Jack don't let me down! I am wrapping up a few orders and waiting to receive a few.Then I am going to take a break from buying! Haha yeah right! Love our chats! see you there and Happy Growing, Linda In NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hey Linda,
    If everyone shipped when they said and my stand arrives on schedule then Thurs. is gonna be a banner day for me! I am sooo excited to see all.
    I swear lady your gonna have AV's lined up and down on both sides of your driveway before long! Because the house will be full! haha
    It's great to know I'm not the only one ate up with this addiction! haha. It's like Lay's Potato Chips,,,who could eat just one? Well I must admit,,,I can. In grade school they had a sloppy joe sandwich day and the chips were Lay's and because I'm stubborn I did just eat 1 potato chip out of my bag. You know dumb kid and I had to prove them wrong!
    Wishing you lots of buds and blooms!,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey AV Buddette,
    Wow, Thursday's the big day for everything hope you enjoy it all! One chip,what are you NUTS! Wish I was the person sitting next to you I would have finished that bag for ya! Haha I would have been the announcer to the Debbie the 1 Lays Chip eater just so I could eat the rest and of course I'd be tellin ya how great ya were cause no one but you could eat just one! haha
    Happy Growing 1 chip wonder, Linda in NJ

Happy Growing, Linda

• planthoarder
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey U one chip wonder! Where's my reply from you today? Oh u must have all your goodies delivered today and are tooooo mesmerized too do anything else but sit and coo over it all! Well more power to ya! I am Happy for ya! Happy growing, Linda in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Welll Miss MC Announcer who eats my left over chips! hahaha. I did give the other chips away I didn't just waste them. BUT I did get the title (your a bit late giving it to me) of Debbie the One Chip Wonder! Your a trip!
    The GH arrived by UPS yesterday (Thurs.) box was a heavy one! Hubby will put it together after his flu bug flies the coop.
    I guess the ole nag broke down and Pony Express didn't have a replacement because the Strep and the AV orders didn't arrive. Hopefully today (Friday) my turtle mailman will beat the hare and will deliver both boxes. I am so wanting to see those huge bushes POP out of the box you say Jack sends under the title of African Violets!
    Anticipating mail today!,,,Debbie

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County