Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light requirements for variegated plants

Posted by jerome z9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 11, 11 at 15:39

Do variegated leaves need less light? I have Ma's Wedding Day, Ma's Winter Moon and a store bought pink AV and their variegation seems to get more faint for me - the plants are healthy just not identifiably variegated. I'll post photos later tomorrow but I'm just curious about light. If they need less light, I can play with their proximity to the window; if they need more, I'm going to have to at least consider buying a growing light. Thanks for the advice in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light requirements for variegated plants

Variegated plants need more light. If they don't have enough, they will make more green for the chlorophyll so they can have enough photosynthesis.

o

Ah well, I was afraid of that. I'll probably have to get lights and don't know where to go for that. Probably need to order some online.

o

Jerome:

African violet varigates need cooler temperatures and less intense light to maintain variegation. That's why people put them on the end of their stands and the solid leafed ones in the center.

Re: Your other post ~ Some starter variegates have solid leaves and only gain variegation as they age.

Temperatures play a huge part in AV variegation. Keep them too warm and they lose it.

Have fun,

Linda

o

I always read that they need more light but be careful because most of mine that I've had seem to need less. Especially if you start growing under lights - it's okay if they lose variagation some of the time such as in summer when it's warm, as long as they look healthy green. But if they start to "bleach out" by turning paler or brown on the ends of the leaves they are getting too much light.

Tricia
""

o

Before I knew better about variegates here's what happened to the trailer Champagne Pink when it got too much light. It had a beautiful, albeit short, life. :-)

Linda

Champagne Pink

o

Wow, I've learned something! Thanks, everyone! Maybe it's plants that grow in sunlight that need more light rather than less to keep the variegation.

o

Wow! Look at that photo! Thanks for the heads up. Well, my plants on the desk won't have to worry about that. They're in an east-facing window and get morning sun and then bright indirect light all day. I need to take some pictures soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here