Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucky123_gw

Problem Yellow Crown

lucky123
9 years ago

This plant was odd when I received it. The oldest leaves are cupped with very long stamens and are a green splotched yellow/brown/red color.
In the photo, you can see the second row of fairly normal green leaves but then the crown leaves are growing in yellow with brown veins.
I didn't photograph it but under that layer of yellow crown leaves there is a row of what looks like little yellow (sucker?) leaves all around the stem. The crown looks very strange like a straw hat with wisps of yellow hair underneath
This plant is in a group of healthy blooming plants and receives the same care.
Any ideas why crown is turning yellow? Might be genetically damaged or ???

Comments (8)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Optimara.com Dr. Optimara could be a helpful resource for trying to analyze problems with a plant.

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanne
    Thanks, I looked through Dr. Optimara but nothing matched.

Whatever the yellow is, the condition is specific to this plant as the plants around it are super healthy and blooming. All the plants receive the same care.

I had another plant do this. That Plant had dark green leaves until the crown leaves suddenly turned pale with a dark strip down the middle. BUT that was Buckeye Bonanza, a well known Variegated. That plant is supposed to have yellow/white/green leaves.

This plant in the picture is not supposed to be variegated but as it was a donation, it may be misidentified or ..genetic sport.
    It has always been odd. When I got it, the DH didn't recognize it as an AV. Looked like a yard weed of some sort. It looks a bit more..tame..now

However, there may be a cultural explanation, so anyone know of a ph, fertilizer, rot problem that might cause this?

This post was edited by lucky123 on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 18:43

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi,
    You might want to isolate it just in case it is mites. Your
    description sort of sounds like mites on the Dr. O page.

I have a donated plant that is growing oddly, with a tiny,
    pale crown, so I isolated it. (I checked with the owner of the plant, who did have mites at one time.) Joanne

• Karin
    9 years ago

Did you repot? It looks like crown variegation to me, on top of old neglect.
    Or it could be a serious ph/nutrient issue....

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did repot, very carefully. The roots were in very good shape, no signs of rot. The crown/stem looks clean, dry and has good color.
    No Mites. I haven't brought any new plant material in since August 8.
    What I am wondering about is soil breakdown causing a Ph/micronutrient problem. The plant had sunk down in the pot so the soil might be breaking down.
    I suspect this plant has genetic problems given that it has always been so strange.
    I will wait and see. I am watching my other plants for possible soil breakdown and micronutrient problems.
    One other possibility is birth marking
    Anyone else Any Suggestions? Has anyone seen anything similar to this.
    This odd plant has become one of my favorites but if it is genetic, it may not be salvageable long term

• Karin
    9 years ago

Hmm two thoughts.

On "the other forum" they are all testy about INSV. Maybe look into that (I refuse to ;-p ).

Second, what fertilizer do you use? I have one plant (seriously just the one) that will bleach and birthmark unless I give it a high N fertilizer every so often. It'll look like it is about to die (yellow with brown/purple discolouration), then a week after fertilizing it is all green and happy again....

Karin

• lucky123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karin

I think you are right. it did gain a bit of color, now a pale green rather than yellow after the fresh soil repot

I am going to give it high N with a light dose of fish emulsion next time I water. Not too high but I have some good high N I use on my foliage plants. I might cut the dosage 1/2.

• Karin
    9 years ago

yeah, i may say "high N" but that is relative. my normal fert is 8-14-9. the orchid one is 15-5-5. i use both at about half strength.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!