Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biologyteacher60

New member/sick leaves

biologyteacher60
14 years ago

Hi all, I am another new member. I recently became interested in mini and semi-mini african violets. I spent the day today re-potting some of my recently acquired babies. My Orchard's Bumble Magnet has several leaves that have turned brown. They look like they may have gotten too much light. I have only had this plant for a little over a week and it looked fine when I received it, except for a few broken leaves. My question is, did I burn my baby or is something else wrong with it?? I have one plant tube and one white tube over the plants. The plants are about 5-6 in. below the light.

{{gwi:382244}}

{{gwi:382245}}

Comments (6)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Welcome to the board :)

Probably just readjusting to new environment. Something could have gotten on the leaf before you even got it or it could be too close lighting. Raise the light fixture a few more inches and see what happens over the next few days.

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

I agree with Dora, give it some time to adjust to its new home.

This plant is my very favorite. It blooms like crazy if you disbud it, it grows very symmetrically, and the blooms last a long time.

Welcome to the forum.

Barbara

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

My guess is a when watered a couple drops got on the leaves and the lights burned the places. I always have a towel near by when I water so I can soak up the drops off I accidentally get on the leaves.
    New leaves will form as the plant grows and you will be able in time to remove the marred leaves.
    I have my lights between 6-8 inches above my mini's and semi's and getting blooms.,,,Debbie

• biologyteacher60
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of your replies. I have moved it to the outer edges where the light isn't quite as strong. I hesitate to raise the lights because I have a Mac's Just Jeff that is still reaching like crazy. I am wondering if his little leaves will ever flatten out. Has anybody else had this problem?? The petioles are so long, when I first received him they were going straight up(about 6 weeks ago). They are about halfway down now and I don't think they will go any farther.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Bio teacher,
    I wonder if you could raise the light fixture....but take the Mac's Just Jeff and put something under it to raise that individual plant higher?

I sometimes do that to help a particular plant get more light if it is leggy/reaching.

I found that my MJJ is a leggy thing to begin with and the closer to the light, the ligter the blossom. I want a deep red on mine (if I'm thinking of the right plant)

I've been gone for a while and need to tend/water my plants. They probabaly think I died [again]

Dora

• biologyteacher60
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a great idea nwgatreasures. That I can do. Mine has just begun to bloom and the color of the blooms are a nice deep red. Very pretty, but like you said a little leggy.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling