Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sawboldt

Propagating leaves/soil question

sawboldt
9 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to raising African Violets and learning so much by reading through posts here. Wonderful, helpful information! My question is wondering if I should repot the leaves I set about three weeks ago because since I did that, I have read about mixing av soil with perlite. I planted with straight av soil and am wondering if it would disturb and hurt the leaves and babies if I replanted at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• Karin
    9 years ago

Can't really say either way. I've done both. Repotted rooted leaves, and left them to grow in straight av mix.
    Come to think of it, It seems I had more luck rooting leaves when I didn't try too hard, just stuck them in some soil and watered whenever I remembered (every blue moon or so). But then, now I keep close watch and notice every "fail", back then, I'd shrug it off and just put down more leaves....

If you aren't likely to water them too much, then I'd leave them as they are. If you feel they are staying wet too much, or getting chilled, maybe a lighter mix would be a good idea.

Good luck :-)

Karin

• marty-1
    9 years ago

Hi Sawbolt,
    I basically agree w Karin; optimally the leaves should be domed. That increases the chance of rotting, but also promotes the new roots forming-hence the idea of using more perlite to decrease the likely hood of rotting. You may do fine the way you are-if u are doming then make sure not to overwater-I like the idea of removing dome for 24 hrs after watering. If you don't mind extra work, The best practice would be: 1. Dilute your African violet soil 1:1 with perlite 2. Use a teaspoon to remove leaf stem from present pot w intact wet soil around stem and drop in a hole in new soil 3. Dome leaf w plastic dome or Baggie.
    No matter what you do rooting leaves has a high probability of success, especially if u do it in twos or threes to plan for die off. Good luck, have fun
    Marty

• sawboldt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Marty and Karin, for your suggestions. I have ordered some trays and domes that should be here any day now. Too bad I didn't even know about this forum before I got started.

My interest in African Violets all started with a dish garden my daughter was given when her brother in law died in a tragic car accident in August. My daughter and her husband married in May are on rotation...he is studying to become a physician's assistant. They are moving from place to place this first year of their marriage so they could not take the dish garden with them.

I wanted so badly to keep the plants alive and not knowing anything about African Violets, I watered everything in the dish the same...and you all know what happened. The violet died, but when I divided everything, I found a tiny shoot of green surviving. I have heard that a plant with five leaves has a better chance of surviving so I hope this little plant will do okay. It was a lovely plant and I want to be able to give it to them when they are settled.

I am learning so much about all of this. Needless to say, I have added to my AV family and have been given leaves from my dear Aunt...those are the ones I set a few weeks ago. So exciting!

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Your sharing reminds me of a phrase, "violets are for remembrance." Even if the dish garden does not survive, you can purchase a vigorous, blooming violet in the spring as a memento. good luck with your projects.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 15:34

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I never used a dome. I start my leaves in a vase of water until they have a nice root system and then plant in regular potting soil. My window ranges in temperature from 60 -70 degrees. So far I haven't lost a one. I water once a week.

• sawboldt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good idea, forty seven. The rest of the plants from the dish garden are thriving...just the little violet that is quite small but hanging in there. Thanks for your comments.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I would just let it grow alot bigger before you repot it. It looks happy there. Easy on the water. That's quite a big pot for the size of the violet.

• dixiebug
    9 years ago

Yes, I agree african violets are for remembrance! I started growing african violets when I was 11 years old. My 15 year old brother drown while scuba diving and our family received three AVs along with numerous other plants in his remembrance. I kept those AVs alive for many years, but while I was away at college the poor things died. My mother never had a green thumb and I don't believe she understood the importance of the plants to me. Anyway, right after college I started growing AVs with a passion. I was teaching in Longview WA at the time and met a wonder woman, Pat Smith, who was the president of the AV club there. Her husband made me two lovely wooden plant stands. I didn't live there long and moved closer to home near Seattle but I kept growing until the kids came along and we also moved a lot during those years. Between kids and working I didn't have the time. I am 56 now, and I have started back on one of my lifetime passions. The problem is, things have changed. I don't seem to be able to grow the same way I use to. The only difference I can come up with is the potting mix and of course the water source. I use to use the potting mix from my old club and never had a stitch of trouble.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Dixie,
    Your personal sharing is touching. Losing a brother at such a young age is especially sensitive. Maybe those original violets stayed alive as long as they were supposed to.
    I have also grown violets in memory of a cherished family member. But due to moves, etc., they did not last.
    Maybe you will find a club near you. There were some forum members
    who used to share from WA who belonged to a club. It can be helpful to join a club for advice for local growing conditions and supplies. Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, S, I cannot spell out your name due to autocorrect . as Zackey pointed out , that pot seems large? Is it a Keurig coffee cup size? It is hard to find small enough pots. When using one that is a bit too large, water carefully, just around the roots.