Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hooray--Found a Way to Keep Buds from Drying Up

Posted by avalonon z5 ON Canada (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 18:29

Thanks to help from this forum, I stayed patient and on some of my 9 non-flowering plants, finally some buds appeared! Then they dried up and fell off. :-(

I was so discouraged. Then, because the room they are in is very cold, I had to get heater mats that are used to start garden seeds indoors to put under my violets, one mat on each of my two planter shelves. Then, because the buds dried up in the dry heat, I set a black plastic seed starter tray on each mat, and stood the violets in them, each still in its plastic saucer. Then I poured a half-inch of water in each tray. You can almost see it evapourating!

The individual saucers keep the plants from standing in water, but they are bathed in a warm, moist atmosphere. Now the buds are healthy and coming up nearly to flower stage.

I am so happy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hooray--Found a Way to Keep Buds from Drying Up

Relax in a nice warm/steamy shower while AV relaxes on the tank top every once and a while too

o

Good solution Ava!
Funny,,,there isn't anything we won't do to get/keep the plant babies happy! Glad you will see full pretty flowers soon!,,,Debbie

o

Great creative solution!

Barbara

o

Congrats on your healthy buds! Please post some pics once your plants bloom.

o

Very inventive! I agree, I'd love to see pictures.

Have a wonderful day,
Raven

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here