Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

Wick watering

fortyseven_gw
10 years ago

Hi Linda, Irina and All,
I have wick-watered a few Optimaras with wick pots.

I purchased the #18 Mason Line that is recommended.
I will have to use saucers, or deli containers.

Years ago, I lost plants when I used the wick method or the double pot method. Everything stayed too moist. The environment was more humid than now.

Finally, a botanist question, do you know of any AVs with florally colored peduncles instead of green?

Joane

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 3:44

Comments (18)

• matta89
    10 years ago

Far from a expert here, but I don't think I would dome and wick; might be too much moisture; its been years since I've grown; but I'd put the wicks in, dome them for a few weeks; and then top water them after they are ready to be taken out of the dome to make sure the wick is moist; But I could def be wrong!

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Matt,
    I think that is correct! I think I read that in my travels through this forum. Before I proceed, I will re-read the threads on wick watering, as much has been written.
    I will also probably try it out with just a few plants to make sure to get the right balance. In my house atmosphere or environment, I don't keep the potting mix always moist. I let it just begin to dry, then water it. That seems best for my plants. So it will probably take some trial and error before I get it right. However, the idea of not having to worry about watering so often appeals to me, especially for when getting busy or being away.

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

I would not wick-water and dome. You are going to have too much humidity surrounding your plants. Domed plants rarely need water-I water mine about every two weeks or so. Pick one or the other. I would recommend domes for leaves, babies and rooting suckers and wicks for the rest.

I have never seen a peduncle that was any color but green.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks!

• matta89
    10 years ago

Joane, from what you described, it almost sounds like mat watering would work better for you, more control over the process. Then again I'm not expert and never done that side of things.

Wick watering worked really well for me way back when. It took a lot of experimenting, but it worked out well.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Matt for the suggestion and letting me know wicking worked for you. At this point, I don't know enough about capillary mat, however, that is next on my list to learn about. I am experimenting with various methods so that I can save some time and be prepared for traveling.
    Because so many people advocate wicking, I decided that was next in the learning process! I recently overlooked a plant and nearly killed it. So that motivated me to buy the wicking material. I also looked at the mats in the hardware store, but they were a bit pricey.
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

People who mat water use cheap acrylic blankets cut to fit their shelves. I believe Irina mat waters so maybe she'll sound in.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,
    Thank you.
    interesting ... i recall reading on an older thread that there might be a danger of mildew.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 3:41

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

One advantage of the blankets is that they can be laundered. Most mat growers wash them a couple times a year. You can also use Physan 20 to control mildew and algae.

The blankets would not get any cooler than the ambient air in the room which would also apply to any water in the trays used for wicking.

Heat mats are not supposed to get wet, (at least the ones I have experience with.)

I have eight heat mats on now. They take such little energy, I have never noticed a jump in my electric bill.

One of the reasons light stands are recommended is that you are able to control day length. That's important for those who live where the climate is cloudy or for those who live in the far north where days are short in the winter. It also helps those who have no good window exposures. If your light is good, then natural light is just fine.

These are the heat mats I use. I've been very happy with them.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat Mats

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,
    Thanks for posting the link and the info. My plant trays (for the leaves) with domes are all on a carpeted floor with the heat vent very near them. So I was hoping that would help, like a heat mat. I don't seal the domes, I just rest them on top, thinking that the small amount of ventilation is probably good. Not sealing them might be causing them to dry out faster.

Thanks for mentioning the Physan 20. I will get the Physan to have on hand.

I noticed one plant that I had been watering from the top and had moved to a darker spot developed powdery mildew on two leaves.
    I might look for a light meter to test for light intensity in various spots in the rooms. It does get cold at night.

Irina suggests using Marathon as preventative or prophylactic. I used something else.
    It was a suspension, seemed like clay particles that never dissolved. I have now bought the Marathon (a generic) and also Neem oil. Not sure where to buy the fish emulsion that Irina suggested.

On another topic, I noticed that one of my variegates, that has not bloomed in ages, developed two solid dark green leaves. I moved its location to a spot that gets a little less light..

I was keeping the heat off, down to about 59 during the day when no one was home, until I read not to let it go that low.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 3:38

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda,
    Thanks for posting the link and the info. The mats look similar to what I saw at my local greenhouse/hardware store. My plant trays (for the leaves) with domes are all on a carpeted floor with the heat vent very near them. It is electric heat from a floor vent. I was hoping that would help, like a heat mat. However, the domed plants seem to dry out more quickly. I don't seal the domes, I just rest them on top, thinking that the small amount of ventilation is probably good. Not sealing them might be causing them to dry out faster now that the heat has to stay on.

Thanks for mentioning the Physan 20. I will get the Physan to have on hand.

I noticed one plant that I had been watering from the top and had moved to a darker spot developed powdery mildew on two leaves.

In my present environment, in the rooms where I keep violets, one entire wall is glass, so the house is very bright. I might look for a light meter to test for light intensity.

Irina suggests using Marathon as preventative or prophylactic. I have used some type of treatment in the past (not sure what it was).
    It was a suspension, seemed like clay particles that never dissolved. It was gritty and had a faint, unpleasant odor.
    I hope it wasn't Marathon by another name.
    I have now bought the Marathon (a generic) and also Neem oil. Once I begin repotting older plants, I will treat them with the Neem and the Marathon.

Not sure where to buy the fish emulsion that Irina suggested.

I have not had any bug problem aside from a couple of flying tiny black flies in the summer. I put out some fruit fly traps and washed the plants that were affected (because I put them outdoors for a few hours. )The bugs went away with the fruit fly traps.
    Neem and Marathon would just be preventative.

One of my variegates, that has not bloomed, developed two solid dark green leaves. I moved its location to a spot that gets less light.

I was keeping the heat off, down to about 59 during the day until I read not to let it go that low. Maybe that caused the greening. Or moving it to a spot where it gets less light.

Thanks again for all your help!
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 23:29

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorree about double posts, slow computer

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

If your leaves are near the heat, that may be enough warmth. Why don't you get one heat mat and try some leaves with and some without.
    Seal your domed plants completely. I water my leaves with sealed domes about every two weeks. I do not wick water my leaves as the water sitting in the trays causes too much humidity especially when I have the heat mats on.

Moving a violet to a darker spot can cause mildew esp. if it is a little too wet. Top watering has nothing to do with mildew. Humidity, a stagnant atmosphere and too much soil moisture encourages mildew. In the winter when I have my growing area sealed up tight, I run a fan 24/7.

One reason I have always used lights to grow is that, while I have always had lots of windows, I've always had lots of trees so my indoor light was not really strong enough for good growth. That and the fact that I have several hundred plants!

Marathon is for insects and will not control mites which are arachnids. It doesn't sound like what you used before was Marathon as it is very water-soluble and has no odor. People swear by Neem Oil but I have never had any success with it. I would check HD or Lowe's or a garden center for fish emulsion. It is just another fertilizer and commonly used so it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Variegation is brought out by cooler temperatures, not warmer. The area of less light might be having an effect. Usually, variegates like a lower light level. In my experience, my variegates show too little green when grown in too much light.

When I was tending my plants tonight, I checked on my temperatures for you. I have a thermometer/hygrometer that records the high and low temps for the past 24 hours. My high temp. was 71 and my low was 57. The humidity stays about 50%. We are now in the midst of an ice storm as I write this so it will be interesting to see the low temp. tonight.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Linda
    thanks for the recording of the 24 hr temp and the name of the instrument! That will be another tool for me to consider.
    I think I will get a light meter just so I know what I am dealing with.

It is great that you have a room you can seal off in the winter! That is ideal for a big operation such as you have.
    Do you sell your duplicates at shows?

I think the Calif light is a lot stronger than east coast light and no trees near the windows to block light. It is certainly the opposite of where I lived in NJ, which was always dark and nearly always wet. Windows were very small to keep out the cold and houses close together, further impeding sunshine.

My sympathies to you on the ice storm. Especially for the outdoor plants.

By the way, thanks for the advice on the Marathon and the Neem, on another thread.

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

The ice storm was followed by snow, ( about 8 inches or so), so today was interesting. But it is nice to sit by the fire and watch a movie or two!

My plant room is the basement. Full basements are the norm here and mine is large and can be heated if necessary. There is water and doors and windows so it is ideal for my plants. I haven't sold any duplicates at shows yet but I am planning on doing that next spring.

The temp./humidity instrument is a great aid and it wasn't very expensive.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brrrr! Stay cozy!
    Hope it melts soon! I have read that some folks like to collect rain water for their plants. I wonder if snow is considered pure enough also for plants.
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

It's 10 degrees and almost a foot of snow here. More ice, sleet and snow tomorrow but when I go into my growing area, it's summer!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds like a very nice set up and a good place to spend quality time!
    Joanne

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner