Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meg_91

Reach for the sky!

meg_91
14 years ago

I have a few suckers that I've put down, and they've rooted and started new growth *smiles inside*! The only apparent problem is that they all are growing straight upwards, with their leaves pressed together like praying hands. I also have a couple Episcia Star of Bethlehem stolons that are doing the same thing. All my little "pardners" are looking otherwise very healthy, and growing fast. But how do I convince them to stop their "reach for the sky" tendencies? I had them in a bright south window for much of the time they were rooting, so I don't think it could be a light issue...any ideas?

Perplexed,

Meg

Comments (10)

• pembroke
    14 years ago

Meg: I re-potted Alamo's Gold Rush not long ago and after re-potting the leaves reached for the light. I lowered the light stand on that end and the leaves have flattened right down. Hope this helps. Pembroke

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Meg usually up stretched leaves mean 'please more light'. It could be what we think is enough light isn't in their book. If under lights maybe the light might be too high for their taste and needs lowered. Rule of thumb is 12 inches from standards and 6-8 from mini types.
    Your post says 'had them in a bright south window',,,where did you move them to? What's their situation now?
    It might would also enjoy a shot of diluted fertilizer in it's next drink too. This would give it energy to make more roots and head towards being a bloomin' fool.
    Let us know if any of this helps it lower it's arms to a more comfy position.,,,Debbie

• meg_91
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tried setting them closer to the window some time ago, immediately under the light. The light coming into that window is normally as bright as it can get. And all the leaves are darker colored. But it's interesting - I had to move a couple of the Episcia stolons away from the light, and they've started to lay down all nice and easy. So I'm going to experiment with pulling the rest away from the light - hey, it can't hurt anything. Have any of you ever seen plants folding their leaves up and together because they'd had too much sunlight? It seems a little wierd to me! I will take your advice on the fertilizer - they haven't had any food since I rooted them - I was afraid it would overload the little things. But it's time now that they're established.

Thanks!
    Meg

• Christine
    14 years ago

Quote: "Have any of you ever seen plants folding their leaves up and together because they'd had too much sunlight?"

Yes, indeed, that is one cause of African Violets looking like they are under arrest. The plant is getting too much light and is trying to shade and protect the tender new crown growth. Put the plant in a dimmer area and it will relax.

As Debbie said, the most common reason is the need for more light. It doesn't sound like your plant lacks light: a south window is usually very bright. Opposite problems cause the same symptoms - aghhh! Other causes that don't seem to apply in your case include initially being grown in extremely crowded conditions (especially plug growing) that forces the leaves to grow up and genetics (if you have one of the celery/beanstalk type varieties).

I think your idea of pulling the plants away from the light is the way to go.

• meg_91
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Donna! I was quite puzzled, because some of my older plants are also getting brittle, and dark - like they're getting too much sun, but these little ones just kept reaching. It'll be a miracle if I ever get all the various symptoms and their treatments down. I've read that the brittleness is a symptom of bad soil/water ph, but I'm curious now as to whether it's that same light problem. The two plants I've been having the most problems with are EverGrace and EverBeautiful - both Optimara, and both with wavy foliage. I've also read that plants with wavy foliage are more sensitive to bad ph - but could that symptom also be caused by too much light?

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!
    Meg

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Hi All, Meg how long did it take for your suckers to root themselves and how often do you water them? Did they need more water? I have just put down a cut off long neck and I am wondering if I need to water it more. It must be in shock right?,because I put her in a good mix and watered her but her leaves are a bit curled and she is a bit limp right now,she has perked up a bit and I know she doesn't need watering yet but was wondering about how often to water if she needs more to root herself and perk up.She is also under a grow light.Anyone have any advice? Happy growing, Linda in NJ

• bspofford
    14 years ago

For planthoarder....if you provide a humid environment, it will hopefully help the leaves perk up. You can put the plant in a plastic bag, blow air into it and seal it off. repeat as it loses air. Or you can put it under some type of dome. Cake domes that are really high work, as does the container from rotisserie chicken, if it is tall enough. Even a rubbermaid container can work by turning it over.

Barbara

• minimac
    14 years ago

Hey Linda,

After you cut off the neck and repotted, did you put it in a plastic bag or under some kind of dome? Re read Dee's post 'Loooooong Curvy Neck'. Donna gave two good links to click on (Restoring a violet, and Violet Necks).

It's late. I'm tired and I may have misunderstood your post, but don't water anymore. Soil should just be moist and then place it in a bag for a month, so it can grow roots. It will have enough moisture in a sealed bag.

Mac Officially Thrips Free

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Good Day Everyone, Oh thankyou so much Barbara and Mac. I am going to go cover in right now.I watered it but didn't cover it.Thanks for the link too. This info is GREATLY appreciated! Good Growing, Linda In NJ P.S.- Happy to hear you got rid of those buggers Mac! Must be a great big sigh of relief!

• Christine
    14 years ago

Hi Meg,

I've found that extremely bright sunlight will cause brittle leaves on my plants. I have to rotate AVs that grow on my dining room windowsill to other places from time to time or the leaves will eventually get brittle.

There are other causes of brittle leaves too. The link below describes them and what to do about the problems.

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible Causes of Brittle Leaves

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals