Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avsforme

Lost all 200+ African Violets due to the ice storm!!

avsforme
15 years ago

I live in northern MA and we were hit with the ice storm last week, we were w/o power for almost 4 days. We did buy a generator on day 3 but by then the damage was done my plant area hit 41 degrees for at least a day and a half. I'm in the process of throwing out all my limp dead plants...I did get 2 leaves off my son's Walmart rescue (it was nearly dead when we bought it on sale for 50 cents and we nursed it into a beautiful plant, I'm glad I was able to get 2 leaves of it. All my named varieties (98% of my collection) are gone. :o(

Comments (31)

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you were able to save some leaves from your named varieties. Maybe if you soaked them in warm water a few hours they will firm up. It wouldn't hurt to try. I only have a few violets, and have some leaves that are rooting. Maybe I'll have some to send you in the spring. (if they make it.

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

avsforme, i'm so sorry you lost all your plants, butttt, the other side of that bad happening is , now you get to look , trade, or buy new plants.i'm just glad you & yours are o.k.. later, molly

• avsforme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish there were any leaves that even resembled what they looked like a week ago, they're all flopped and mush, nothing to save at all except the 2 leaves of the Walmart plant. I've already started making my list of new varieties that I'm eager to try. I plan on only growing minis this time around. I'm also going to reconfigure my light set ups (I have 3 big light shelf set ups) to use the space better.

Becky :o)

• carol222
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry. I have only a few violets, but all are minis. Get in touch with me when the weather warms up in the spring and I'll send you leaves or plants.
    Carol

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Don't forget there are AV clubs fairly close to you, and they are a great source to restock your collection.

The Maine club meets in Kennebunkport, and the NH club meets in Derry. Check the AVSA website for the Mass clubs.

I fired up my generator after 10 hours, so everything survived, but we were only out for 30 hours. I'm in Seattle now, and it's amazing how people try to drive in this without the equipment or skills.

Weather permitting, I'll be at both Maine and NH meetings in January, so if you plan to go be sure to post and I'll bring you leaves.

Barbara

• frazzledgessie
    15 years ago

I am sorry for your loss. I also live in Mass. in the greater Springfield area. I don't collect or grow African Violets, but I do grow chiritas if you are interested. In the spring I will have a Liboensis that I could mail to you. Good luck with the new mini's.

• johnlemon
    15 years ago

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking in the shadows for quite a while. Several months ago on another forum, a New Member showed up out of nowhere. This New Member told a story about how he was just starting out and couldn't afford to buy plants. Suddenly members started asking what the New Member wanted!
    Several members sent the New Member leaves, plantlets, plants. One day this New Member got in on a Round Robin, the plants and the New Member were never seen or heard from again!

• avsforme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi johnlemon, fear not, I'm not asking for any handouts, just wanted to relay my story. I don't plan on starting up again till spring and I'll have a good hunk of $ saved up for restocking my collection (I'm putting aside $20.00 per week). I may even talk the husband into a field trip out to Lyndon Lyon or Rob's. YEAH!! I carefully looked at about 50 of the plants that I pulled while dumping the rest in the trash and some of them have a few non mush leaves that look as though I may be able to salvage them. I also recounted while dumping and I had over 300 plants! 326 to be exact...yikes! I think it's great that everyone wants to help out someone that has lost their collection but I also believe in paying back the favor.
    *Amazingly all of my orchids survived (some of the buds didn't) and every single one of my 25 cacti survived + a little "greenhouse" of baby cacti survived...tough little guys they are!

~Becky~

• carol222
    15 years ago

I remember the new member. I sent leaves & never got reimbursed for postage!
    But avsforme, losing my collection is one of my worst nightmares. I would hope people would help me rebuild if I lost everything. It's been so hard to collect those particular plants I love.
    I have Chantaspring, which I love, but it got sick, so I put almost every viable leaf in a prop box & left it for months. I looked at it a week ago, and I have 8 almost full grown plants! I'm so happy about it. The parent plant recovered, too, and is now in full bloom. I'm saving some for the annual gesneriad meeting, but am happy to help a fellow collector and save one for you. We should help each other. That's why we join, isn't it?
    Carol

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Um, are you sure you only want minis? Cuz I've got Witch Doctor babies coming out of my ears (almost) and they'd love to come live with you!

Seriously though, I started soooo many leaves, a backup for all of my plants and some new ones too, and there is no way that I will possibly be able to fit them all in my space. Mainly, I started the leaves to prove to myself that I could finally get babies to grow into plantlets. Um, well... I succeeded! In the spring I will have way too many. Add to that the fact that all my starter plants have begun reaching their adult sizes, and yes, I'm screwed. My shelves are reaching maximum capacity, and I can't do a artificial light system, because I already did that... for my orchids. Ha.

So, plantlets (named varieties) are yours for the asking. Seriously. I don't know enough people who even grow plants, let alone AVs, so they'd probably be better off with you than anyone else I'd give them to. I hate the feeling of nurturing these plantlets for 6 months to a yr, only to give them to someone who might kill them in no time flat. Plus, I just don't have the room even now to grow them out to something more like full size, which I would feel like I'd need to do for people who may not know what they are doing. And after you get one of every variety I have, I'll still probably have a bazillion more to find homes for. Oops.

• User
    15 years ago

Hi johnlemon, I understand your frustration with some people who abuse this site for their gain. I suggest we all should do something about this by requesting the owners of this site to create a category for good trading partners.

By doing this, we can see who is a good trading partner and start rooting out those who simply abuse the purpose of this site. Many of the members here want to share leaves, extras, etc. but are becoming increasingly wary due what you have described.

You can go the home page and use the contact us at the bottom of the page to voice your concerns. I have requested they consider doing this and maybe if they hear enough from the members they will be willing to create a category for this purpose. The end result would be more reliable trading partners and the weeding out of those who are only in it for their gain.

Dave

• User
    15 years ago

Hi Becky, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. The orchids will take temps down into the upper 30's without harm except like you said the buds, they are the most fragile part of the plant.

If you would like, I have a few extra semi-mini's that need a home. I started them because they take less space but I don't want to part with my standards yet.

I don't have a lot but you are welcome to these:

Christening Gown
    Streisand
    Rob's Cotton Ball
    Rob's Shadow Magic

I was planning on giving these away anyway. They are still small but are established.

If you are interested in standards, I will leave a list of what I have in my trade list. I do have heat packs to send them if you want them.

We can always trade later when you rebuild your collection.

Dave

• missjennie
    15 years ago

I know how you feel. I am a science teacher in Laramie, WY. My students were really into propagating some NoID violets from Walmart, and had quite a collection going. Then, one weekend the furnace had problems and it was over 100 degrees in the room. Within two weeks, because the furnace had been turned off while they waited for parts, it got quite cold in the room. The only violets that survived were about half a dozen that were in the "incubator" terrarium. Thank goodness I hadn't taken any of my Rob's to school yet!

Jennie

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

quinnfyre, if you still have lots of babies come spring, I would like to trade with you. I have quite a few leaves that have babies. It was an experiment for me to see if I could get the leaves to grow. Well, it worked out very well. I now have over 50 little babies growing. By the warmer weather they should be ready to fine new homes. I'll be ready to trade. Please keep me in mind.
    Here is just one of my trays of babies. I have 5 more.
    {{gwi:382468}}
    Eileen

• avsforme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

An Update: Well it looks like all I'm going to have left are 2 Walmart NOIDS, 2 Deep Sky, and 1 Rob's Ice Ripples, I had 34 or so that looked like they had a chance but they all mushed up within the last week. The NOIDS really are the best looking out of them, they must be bred to withstand almost anything! I had a rather depressing weekend as I took down 2 of my lightstands (3 tier each) they were empty and just sitting there so...I have my orchids, the remainder of the AVs and the cacti babies on the last lightstand.

I may take some of you up on your offers for leaves/babies come spring but rest assured I will pay in advance for shipping or any costs you see fit.

~Becky~

• plantlady052847
    15 years ago

I was gifted a lot of leaves when I thought I had to move and got rid of my collection last summer--I'm sure I will have plants to share come spring--keep me in mind also :-) Jan

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

I personally am looking forward to spring......

I've already designated a special space on my shelves for sharing with others. I guess some will be actual plants by the time the weather warms up but I'm still excited about sharing leaves and plants with you guys (or gals :)

Dora

disclaimer & update: I haven't seen sight of the first evil thrips in over 2 weeks now. I keep pinching off any new buds and I sprayed carefully per directions with some conserve 15 days ago. I don't notice any leaf discoloration or brown edging and the growth of the plants is still looking good.

My four year old is doing quite well after our recent bout with MRSA. There is an indention in her thigh/buttock where the MRSA boil was located and I can place two thumbs in the hole on her leg. They don't know if it will grow back in or not. The tissue is still black but she has youth on her side. My husband now has it on his left pointer finger but because we knew what to do, it is already getting well. I'm so tired of the constant cleaning process that must take place even though I know it has to be done. I'm tired of pinching off blooms too but I know that must be done as well :/

I'm ready for this holiday season/month/year to be done and gone and I'm looking forward to the spring when I can dig in the dirt and when my plant stands will be full of flowers in full bloom.

Becky, don't put those plant stands too far away, in a few months, they'll be growing each week with new children that you've adopted and each one will have their own story and origin. Won't that be special? (no sarcasm)

Dora

• all4birds
    15 years ago

Hello,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm new here, I just joined today. A year ago I joined an "African Violet of the Month Club. Each month for a year I recieved 3 african violets in the mail. I'm getting ready to start replanting them and to start propagating them. (I joined this forum to learn how) They are all standards, all are named, and all from Optimara. If you'd like I'd be happy to share some with you.

Terry
    in Arkansas

• lucillle
    15 years ago

I vaguely remember something in the Bible about helping others. I'm not worried about the occasional person who takes advantage, from what I have seen the vast majority of African Violet people are lovely and generous both with leaves and with knowledge.

My little plantlets are just reaching blooming size and some of my leaves made it too, cute little mouse ears growing up. I'd be happy to share.

• User
    15 years ago

Hi Becky, In case you don't see my email, I sent you a package on Tuesday so be on the lookout!

Dave

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

hi all, on the whole, aren't people nice. i know gardeners, inside or outside gardeners, are so generous. i don't have any to share at this time but hopefully i will later. i just wanted to say, how nice & generous all you folks are. molly

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Molly,
    did you get my package yet? I'm curious if the Epecia survived the weather?

Dora

• kralen
    15 years ago

Just a tip for the future wal-mart sells emergency blankets in the camping section for $1 or $2 bucks is all. These blankets reflect some 90% of the heat so if you create a small bubble around some plants they will have a much greater chance of survival. I use the blankets in my spring greenhouse to drastically reduce my heating costs. Good luck in the future.

• las81101
    14 years ago

Aww, this is sad. I can sympathize, because last winter a breaker to our greenhouse went out and I lost a lot of plants. Not as many as you lost, but plenty! It's a sad thing to lose plants that you have loved and nurtured.
    Best wishes, Linda

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Avsforme,

Are you aware of the spring show and sale put on by Bay State AV society on April 18th? They have about 900 plants from Lyndon Lyons and there will also be a lot of member plants and leaves for sale.

Barbara

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

So, how's your collection doing so far? Just to remind you, I have AV plantlets for the asking. I need to cut down, badly. Here's what I have ready at the moment:
    Little Chatterbox (semimini)
    Rob's Pewter Bells (semimini)
    Bloomlover's Shadow (semimini)
    Princess Jade (semimini girl leaf, pink flowers - small plantlets)
    Witch Doctor (standard)
    Snowy Skies (large standard)
    Blue and white double (almost rose shaped) semimini/small standard trailer, NOID

What I have starts of, ready in a couple months maybe:
    Allegro Coronation
    Frozen in Time
    Genetic Blush
    Silverglade Baubles
    Buckeye Crinkle Peach
    Ness's Orange Pekoe
    Whirligig Star
    Bob Serbin sport
    Green Ice
    (all standards)

That's just off the top of my head. You can check out my list on my profile, I have starts of almost everything I have, as backups. I only need one backup though : )

If anyone else is interested, feel free to contact me, but I am NOT trading for AVs. Like I said, I need to cut down, not increase my collection. Avsforme gets first pick, but after that, I'm sure I'll still have plantlets available. Especially Witch Doctor.

I'll probably post over in the Exchanges section in a few days, after I evaluate what I still have and what's ready.

• ima_digger
    14 years ago

quinnfyre, I've sent you an email. I'm interested in your violets.

• carladawn
    14 years ago

Hi Becky,
    I am sorry to hear about your collection being lost. I lost many of mine last year in the Mississippi River flood here in Missouri. I have lots of babies and leaves I can share.I would be thrilled to put a box together to share with you for the postage. You can see what I have as far as blooming picture on my page and I have scads of NOIDS I have rescued from parkinglots and nurseries and other stores. All healthy, happy, and eager to make new little one. If you are interested please, send me an email and I will get them ready for you.
    Paying it Forward, Carladawn

• hort_lvr_4life
    14 years ago

Of all GW forums I have visited I'd have to say the AV forum boasts the most generous of gardeners. I wish I could offer AVs, but I have one and I am nursing it back to health with the help of you wonderful souls. It is getting bigger pretty quickly. It has about four tiny leaves in addition to one nearly dime-sized leaf.

• butterfly31286
    14 years ago

Hey. I don't get on to often due to my homework for school but I just wanted to ask questions. First off. Sorry you lost all your plants. That really sucks. I am in an apartment at college and I lost my three that I had. I don't know why but they all just upped and died on me no matter what I tried. I did everything I could to try and save them and my attempts at starting from leaves has not worked. Was wondering if anyone could tell me any tips or hints at how to start and get babies. I have to get a new AV when I get the money. (Hate being a broke college student) I cant indulge myself. :) So if anyone one has any ideas, tips, hints, anything they would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get new AVs and get them going and have them live. only plants that I have had survive my apt are bamboo and three random Angel plants I saved from Lowes. (my roommate changes the thermostat so it hasn't stayed a comfortable temp at all times.
    Also how much would a small lamp be or does it matter what kind of lamp if i just find the right kind of bulb? I'm kinda a newbie at all this but I want to get my plants going again. Thanks!

• hort_lvr_4life
    14 years ago

Have you begun replenishing your collection? I'd give you mine, but it'd probably die on the way. It's sad.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner