Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fortyseven_gw

AV Salad, and Fuzzy Leaves

fortyseven_gw
10 years ago

Hi Linda and UV,
Decided to start a new thread on these yummy topics!

@ Linda, who wrote: "Fuzz on a plant's leaves is thought to help protect against too much sun. It also serves to help catch and hold water that will slowly drip off and provide water for the roots. This water on the leaves can also help provide humidity. It also serves as a buffer between the internal water levels in the leaf and the external environment. The pores (stomata) in a leaf are less likely to open when there is water in the nearby environment.
African Violets contain no natural poisons although the chemicals we use to control insects and diseases can be harmful if ingested. And, since we are nearing Christmas, it's time to dispel another untruth. Poinsettias are not poisonous although some people have an allergic reaction to the sap.
Another old wife's tale down the drain.

Biology lesson for today. :)"

My response: I thought Poinsettias were toxic for cats if they chewed on them.

My response: thank you, the vivid description of water on leaves is lovely! This morning, I gave a bath to a few larger, older plants. I noticed the water did not drip off, but was held by the fuzz. So i just sponged out the crown and left the leaves to air dry, out of the sun. They looked very happy, all sparkly. From your response, it sounds like stomata should be closed. I read about that elsewhere recently, too, but I don't believe I heard the reason. Perhaps to protect from toxic fumes entering the plant's system through the pores?

@ UV, who wrote:
"For surplus plants that I've been unable to find a home for, I've fantasized about tossing a big fresh AV salad rather than throwing them away. Extra croutons, no olives, and hold the Marathon please ;) "

I have thought the same thing! Do add olives to my portion, please!
Anyway, come spring, if you still have surplus plants, perhaps send me an email, maybe we can trade, or I can buy some!

Come spring, I will be more active on the Exchanges section, as there should be a bumper crop of plantlets read to bloom at my house. Hopefully, by then, all the new plants i got a few months ago should be blooming, so i will know what I want to add.

Joanne

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting