Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momiji_gw

How do I save my AV?

momiji
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my AV and how to save it ?

Comments (7)

• Karin
    10 years ago

Can you give us some mor info on how you keep it?
    Light (artificial / natural, north / south window etc)
    Water (do you keep it moist, or let it dry between watering etc)
    Soil (light / dense, retains lots of water / dries fast?) & when it was last repotted
    What kind of temperatures have you been having?
    Do you fertilize? How?
    Are the leaves floppy or crisp?

I am no expert, but I've killed most my av's (I mean the ones I lost) with watering too much, or letting them get too cold. Most other issues don't seem to result in as permanent a demise as quickly...

Karin

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

More info is definitely needed but just a wild guess-it looks as though the care has been irregular as far as watering goes. And the pot is very much too big. But as Karin says, we need more clues.

Linda

• momiji
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi here are some mor info on how i keep it?

Light (artificial / natural, north / south window etc)

Light from bathroom window , facing south ( I think $

Water (do you keep it moist, or let it dry between watering etc)
    It starts to deteorarate after my 3 weeks holiday , which I let the pot
    Sit in another pot of water . I used to water from the top
    But I kept seeing my leaves darkened from the side .
    I thought I must have over watered . Hence I started the bottom
    Watering method

Soil (light / dense, retains lots of water / dries fast?) & when it was last repotted
    I never repot my AV. I bought it from florist and I'm not
    Sure if the soil type . I can't see perlite in them.
    I normally touch the surface of my soil before I water them.
    I use to water twice a week when watering from the top .
    Ever since I started to water from bottom up , the soil is dry to touch from top but I dare not water more as I fear deep down there may be water log?

Also as I saw holes in my leave I'm not sure if its infected
    With bugs I sprayed an AV safe bug killer liquid on it last week .

What kind of temperatures have you been having?

At my house currently about 26-30c

Do you fertilize? How?

Yes . Once a week using AV fertiliser but have stopped
    See my AV sick .

Are the leaves floppy or crisp?
    Floppy

Should I repot it now ? Previously I have been cutting off the dark coloured leaves now the AV look smaller in its original pot .
    Shall I repot using perlite ? I have bought self watering dish from the US and they haven't arrived yet . Let's hope this will save my AV watering problem ?

Any guidance will be much appreciated ..

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Please, refer back to your very similar photo and same questions you asked on 10/27. The answers are the same. now as then. You are overwatering and drowning your violets. It was suggested to you to read up on how to care for these plants. If you are going to be using a self-watering system, you will have to use a potting formula that contains perlite. In some environments, or atmospheres, AV plants do not do well if kept continually wet in a self-watering system. For example, if you live in a humid climate, the plant might not do well in a self-watering pot. You can also ask the florist where you bought the plant how to care for it properly if you want it to survive. You cannot revive a sick, drowned plant. It would be better to learn how to care for a plant without using a self-watering system so that you get familiar with how to care for the plant first before experimenting.

• Karin
    10 years ago

Wow Joanne, I was going to say that was a bit harsher than your usual self, but a search turned up momiji comes back every few months with yet another drowned violet... So I understand.

As for momiji, leaving a plant to sit in water, is never a good idea. I even once nearly killed a willow (!) that way.
    Else, you've received good advice before. Read it over again ;-)
    Next time (a while before) you travel again, read up on wick watering and see if that would work for the duration of your absence...
    Good luck.

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

You have to be fairly good at growing violets to successfully leave them for prolonged periods.

If you're just starting out, I'd advise leaving your violets with a knowledgeable friend. Violets really need to be checked every few days.

You might look around to see if there is an African Violet club nearby. You could get some good instruction and find someone to watch your violets while you are away.

• irina_co
    10 years ago

momiji - where do you live? - you are not in US - since you ordered some self watering dish from US. Seems the help you need is probably to see how the best growers in your area do it = so you can try to adjust your growing methods.
    I think the ladies nailed the problems - soil is wrong, watering is wrong etc.. To make them grow right- you need to keep inside certain limits in the soil - water-fertilizer - light - temperature - humidity- pH. If one is seriously off - plant won't live long. If more than one - they will die off quite fast. Seems that you have several things not right.

Good luck - and keep learning

Irina