Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahrg

Does my violet look damaged?

sarahrg
11 years ago

I bought this violet on spring break this past March. It had flowers when I bought it, but before I could get it back to my college dorm room, my cats got to it and chewed up a bunch of the leaves. I cut off the damaged leaves and left the unharmed ones once I got back to school. It didn't bloom for the rest of the school year, but it bloomed again from May-August.

The problem is that it hasn't bloomed since mid-August. The last bloom from summer was coming up when I went back to school. It says in the FAQ that I probably just need to fertilize it, but in looking at it, I can see that it's a lot lighter than most pictures of violets I've seen, and I'm wondering if it's damaged. I can't keep it out of direct sunlight all day because my dorm only has the one window, but the maximum direct sunlight it gets is shown in the picture. That's only for a couple of hours a day; is it too much? It puts out new leaves constantly, just no flowers.

I water from the bottom up and the sill is between a radiator and the window so it stays between 60-70 there, so I don't think that could be the problem. If it is just a case of needing fertilizing, can anyone recommend a safe blooming fertilizer for violets?

Here is another picture that better shows the color: http://i48.tinypic.com/2m31d01.jpg

Comments (2)