Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanna_run_faster

Questions re: Plantlets & Leaves

wanna_run_faster
14 years ago

I started a few leaves about a month (maybe longer!) back. They've been sitting happily on my windowsill in their ziploc bags. I haven't had to do one thing to them, no re-watering or moving them to different locations or anything. They seem perfectly happy and two of the leaves even have plantlets. This is my first time doing this. I know I can separate them out (eventually!) into individual pots but can I leave them alone so I have a nice full plant? Or will that be detrimental to the plant?

Comments (6)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

hey..
    Congratulations on getting them this far and for thinking ahead.

You will eventually want to separate the 'mouse ears' into their own plants for several reasons, mostly which lead to increase the health of the plant.

when you ahve one individual plant with one single crown, it is better for the plant. Once those leaves (which we call mouse ears) grow to the size of a nail bed or a thumbprint (or close to), it's ok to separate them generally speaking.

there's a greata video on the web showing how to separate.

Welcome to the message board.
    Dora

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

If the leaf makes more than one plantlet and you left them together they couldn't grow and spread their leaves out in a typical AV style. Each plantlet would be crowded in maturity and would never look right to the eye.
    As the plantlets grow,,and the AV's grow quickly so,,in no time each potted plantlet will look nice and full after the separation.,,,Debbie

• Coralred
    14 years ago

Most leaves will grow more than one plant-lets, so separately them is a must for their well being. And you can also share your excess plants with others or for exchange.

• wanna_run_faster
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Dora, Debbie & Coral!

I took another look and I have 4 sets of leaves throwing off mouse ears! :) :) :)
    I really can't believe how easy this was and I didn't lose one. At cedar creek I saw they have mini plastic pots with a tray where you can water them all at once. Anyone have pictures of how you have your AV's potted up?

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

I just buy the 3 oz. bathroom disposable cups to plant leaves in. That way there is room for as many plantlets as the leaf puts off.
    For mini and semi-mini growing I'll then transfer each plantlet to the 1 oz. cups to keep them small growing when the time arrives they can be separated.
    Standard size AV's I plan to pot up as needed in plastic pots.
    Most AV folks who use a decorative pot normally set the plastic pot the plant is potted in into the pretty pot. That way if a AV is in bloom they can switch out plants and always have a display plant.,,,Debbie

• kaslkaos
    14 years ago

You won't want to leave them alone forever; they'll get ugly if they are crowded, but you can take your time.
    I find they transplant best when I add a bit of a plastic cover (like saran wrap draped over toothpicks) for the first few days after transplant so that they get a chance to acclimatize to a new environment.