Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19772196

Good trading partners category

User
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I am suggesting we all start doing something about the increased growing concern over people who take advantage of the forum for their own personal gain. I have asked the owners of this site to create a category for good trading partners.

Under the proposal that I submitted, members would only be able to leave positive feedback for people they have successfully traded with. We would want to keep the forum positive so no one would be able to report those who do not fulfill their trade obligations.

By doing this, we can see who is a good trading partner by checking the category before trading and start rooting out those who simply abuse the purpose of this site. Many of the members here want to share leaves, extras, etc. but are becoming increasingly wary due to what you have described here on the forum.

Unfortunately, it will be trial and error with anyone who is requesting a trade at first. But by checking the exchanges, we would be able to see after a few requests to trade. If the participant's name is not on the trading partners list, it would send a message of caution about trading with that individual.

I you agree, please petition the gardenweb to create this category. You can go the home page and use the contact us at the bottom of the page to voice your support. I have requested they consider doing this and maybe if they hear enough from the members they will be willing to create a category for this purpose. The end result would be more reliable trading partners and the weeding out of those who are only in it for their gain.

It's just a suggestion. I think it is a shame that people are very wary to share the joy we all love, African Violets. I would appreciate other member's input on this. Please pass them along to the forum's owners as well.

Dave

Comments (6)

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Dave -

A. I agree with you.

B. In my experience the people who abuse our generosity - do not stay here. They travel through the forums asking for plants, starters, leaves - on all forums - they do the same spiel at the same time on Cactus forum, on Palm forum and on Violet forum. They get what they want and they never come back. God knows what they do with all these plants - compost them?

C. We are not commercials and it is not an ebay. Some people want plants back, some - postage, but I bet everybody wants to get a Thank You email. It is time spent to pack stuff, label stuff, drive to the post office. I better work on my plants or read a book instead of sending anything to the black hole.

D. I am pretty sure that 99.9999% of oldtimers here are trustworthy. So may be it makes sense to weed out the snakeoil salesmen and put the black list instead of positive list? As you said all the reliable people will be in the list - but what about newbies? Don't they need some help?

Happy Holidays

Irina - off till Friday ;-)))

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Irina, I agree the "newbies" need help. That is where the trial and error comes in the most. We would trust the "newbies" until they prove otherwise. After a few requests we would know who would and who would not be reliable.

I am fine with the idea of a black list but am not sure the forum owners will go for the idea. Why not send them a message proposing what you suggested? The worst scenario is they decline the idea. I am not 100% positive they are going to accept this one either. But it never hurts to try.

Dave

P.S. I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

I thought that was what the Rate and Review Exchanges section was for. You do a search for your potential trading partner, and see what other people had to say about them.

Am I wrong? I haven't done much in the way of exchanges, so I haven't checked that section out except for a brief glance...

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi quinnfyre, you are correct! The manager of the site emailed me stating the same. So everyone who is on the forum and have traded, please post your results in this category.

Just do a search for rate and review and it will pop up.
    Sorry, I didn't know this existed! I just read the many complaints of people who have not fulfilled their end of the deal. So I thought it would be a good idea to start one. Well now we all know for sure where we can let everyone know are experiences.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Dave

• Christine
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info quinnfyre. Like Dave, I hadn't discovered that site. There is also a Rate & Review Vendors section that has some good info. They are easy to find: click on Other Forums near the top left of the African Violet Forum main page or on the green Forums link, then scroll down to the By Topic column to find the two Rate and Review ones. Merry Christmas everybody!

~ Donna

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

I've been a member of Gardenweb for many, many years. I also have posted on many of the forums: hoya, house plants, orchids, gesneriads, african violets, cactus and sucs. I collect all different types of plants. I've traded too many times to count over the years. I've been stiffed only a few times. I just chalk it up as a failure.
    There are so many great people on this forum who are willing to trade. I've never posted to the Rate & Review. If I see someone who has stiffed me asking for a trade, I email the one offering and let them know privatly of my experience with that person. Often new people to the forum will lurk for a while. Then start posting. I'm mainly a lurker. I belong to other forums, and there is a lot of posts to read.
    In the past, a newbie posted on here for a trade of leaves. I thought she was treated very badly by some of the people on this forum. I emailed her privately and did a trade with her. I was very satisfied and will certainly trade with her again. She was hurt by the members here and haven't seen her post again..Everyone needs a chance.
    Just my two cents worth!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?