Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AV Russian Variety LE-POLINA

Posted by 1beautylover2012 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 21:02

Happy New Year to All!
I want to share with you guys the photos of my new plant first bloom - LE-POLINA. It's amazing plant! I took a picture before it started blooming - large rosette, long leaves stems because I had old lamps and it was not enough light

photo 1LE-Polina_zps0abe2f3c.jpg

I didn't expect the first bloom will be like this - bunch of large flowers. See yourself. The bud is about to open

photo 10LE-Polina_zps023a64d2.jpg

It's opened! The color is right - bright pink with bright blue

photo 9LE-Polina_zpsec03d5f0.jpg

Looks different with different light, but still gorgeous

photo 6LE-Polina_zps8ecdec13.jpg

And the flowers have bright green edges

photo 8LE-Polina_zpsfc8cc83f.jpg

Soooo symmetrical

photo 2LE-Polina_zps35c53a0e.jpg

Didn't have patience to wait until all buds will open up

photo 4LE-Polina_zps003e0819.jpg

photo 3LE-Polina_zps43a99012.jpg

photo 5LE-Polina_zpsb6af1db0.jpg

I am so pleased with this plant! And besides - it has MY name and it's unique in USA!

This post was edited by 1beautylover2012 on Sun, Dec 29, 13 at 21:06

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AV Russian Variety LE-POLINA

Polina is absolutely beautiful! The Russian hybridizers are coming up with some great AV's. This is definitely one to add to my wishlist. Thanks for sharing your photos.

o

Wow!! Definitely on my want list. I've only seen one semi like that and I think it was called Robs Rough Stuff or something like that.

o

Wow, interesting flowers!
I am still more a fan of 'simple' blossoms, but who knows, the more often I look at these... :-p

o

Thank you guys, it is very beautiful.
plantcrazed101, Robs Rough Stuff is not even close to this type - the only common is the green edges.

froeschli 6b, it's personal preferences of course, but I love something unique, interesting, not boring. But! I have a few very simple flowers AVs - like Optimara Connecticut, just light purple pansies, but love it!
I have a few (about 10) unique (for USA) types from Russia. I will sell them on our show in April in Columbus.

o

Lina,

Beautiful plant! Save one for me in Columbus!

Linda

o

Thank you, Linda. Are you coming to Columbus in April? I have to sell what I have now to get more space for coming up babies. But you'll get one later.

This post was edited by 1beautylover2012 on Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 15:58

o

Lina,

I'd like to get one or two now if you have some. The weather for mailing concerns me though. It was 55 degrees here today and by Saturday it will be -6.

Linda

o

now looking for a way to justify a 650 mile trip to columbus in april ... one way

hmmm

dave

o

Linda, I sent you the list of AV Russians types I have.

Dave, yeah, it's a long drive to come just to get a plant. But we have a mail service. Think about it! :-)

o

Dave,

I just solved your 650 mile dilemma. I'll be there. Problem solved!

Linda ;)

o

Linda, are you coming to Columbus in April? How did you solved Dave's problem? :-)

o

Lina,

I've never been to the Columbus show. Where is it? How big a show is it?

Linda

o

The Sticky at the top of the message column allows events to be posted. I noticed the Florida March 7 African Violet show is posted. Also, orchid and other plant shows in U.S. & Canada. Folks may add their local shows! Joanne

o

Linda, here is the link to my article about Columbus show in 2012 http://www.fialki.ru/node/9413. You can translate it in Google, but be aware the translation is poor. I have photos from the show 2013, but didn't write an article about it. This year show will take place on April April 26 - 27, 2014 at Franklin Park Conservatory 1777 E Broad St, Columbus, OH 43203, (614) 715-8000, http://www.fpconservatory.org. Visit CAVS website for more details at http://www.columbusafricanvioletsociety.org/. Hope to see you there. I can bring plants/leaves that you want at the show. Let me know, please.

o

Lina.

The show looks great! I think I will try to make it. It will be good to see you again. I will let you know about the plants when I get a chance to look at them a little closer. I'll be in touch.

Linda

o

Lina,

I got a chance to go through the show pictures a bit more closely. I really like 'Sharon's Way' and 'Ma's Paris Affair'. I don't think I have ever seen either of these. Very Pretty. I also read that you don't care for white flowers so much, (at least I think that's what the translation said) except for 'White Queen'. My 'White Queen' just bloomed for the first time and it is a beauty!
And congrats on your ribbons. Well done!

Linda

o

Linda, I am glad you want to come to Columbus. I'll be happy to see you again. You'll stay with me, if you'll have time to stay for the weekend.
Yes, I don't really care about the just white AV. I have Cool Mint for over two years (!) and it didn't bloom once! Just didn't grow for some reason. Just now started giving the new leaves. I'll see how it'll bloom.
Do you think to go to Nashville in May? It'll be very interesting.

This post was edited by 1beautylover2012 on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 19:19

o

Lina,

I can't get 'Gillian' to bloom for me ever. I have tried it twice with two different plants and it grows great-but, no blooms. I finally got rid of it.

Linda

o

Awesomeness!!!

o

Lina...what a beautiful AV!

I would love to grow that variety. Could you tell me how I can find a plant or leaves to grow one? Thanks!

o

Thank you, Laura! This plant is amazing! You cannot get it anywhere in USA. Only from me. Let me know if you want it. pga@att.net
Polina.

o

Thank you Becky!

o

I wrote to hybridizer of this type Mrs. Lebetskaya and she said it's "LE-Polina sport". The real type flowers have light color, not that bright. She said it's really nice sport. I noticed that some sports are more beautiful then the type.

o

Polina -

hope you will bring the leaves of this plant - to sale in April - and attach the small photo of a blossom to the baggie. They will fly off the table. Save some leaves for your friends form GW. They are driving 650 miles and more to get there.

Linda - I had Gillian. It bloomed for me - not very abundantly though - great flowers. But the rosette was disgusting. The leaves never grow where they are supposed to - plus they are very brittle and break easily if you touch them. Blah! I agree with the way how we judge the violets. You start with the good symmetrical rosette. And if there is no symmetry and the leaves grow all over the place - the overall impression is lousy - even if the flowers are out of this world. Plus it is not a very strong plant. If you couldn't make it bloom - while 100 more in your collection are blooming their heads off ... It is not worth keeping.
I.

o

I just wonder if not making a good rosette is a problem of that particular hybridizer of that particular AV
Jo

o

Joanne -

in a very first post Polina mentioned that her tubes were old so petioles got stretched.

If you grow it for the show - you do not let it bloom until you grew a good strong rosette. So this variety has a potential. On the other side - frilly edge flowers always come with wavy leaves - which are much harder to grow as a show plant.

So - if you want to make a show plant out of it - you can - but it will require lots of fussing. If you just want to grow it for your own enjoyment - up the light so petioles do not get stretched - and it will be OK. Polina's plant should be restarted from a leaf if she plans to show this variety. Mother plant will be too hard to whip in a show shape, but it will happily bloom anyway.

Irina

I found the true LE-Polina - and I strongly agree with Polina - her sport is better than the sort. Sort is gorgeous in its own right - but sport has green edge and intense colors - rare combination.

Here is a link that might be useful: original LE-Polina

o

Hi Irina Thanks for great info! I thought you meant Gillian did not form a good rosette. So I wondered if that was a trait of plants from the hybridizer of Gillian. Jo

o

Irina,

I think one of the most difficult things for a beginner is to do is to get rid of plants that do not grow well. To give, time, space and energy to a plant that does not do well is crazy. (Plus, a beginner usually blames themselves for the yucky growth!)

I now have 'White Queen' which looks much like
Gillian' but grows beautifully. I also have "Starry Night Blue' that I am undecided about. I love the blooms but the foliage is just like 'Gillian'-cabbage-like.

Joanne,

There are a couple of things that will cause poor rosette growth. Sometimes it is poor growing habits and sometimes the plant does not do well under a particular growing condition. As in 'Gillian' where there seems to be a consensus
about its inability to grow shapely, it is the cultivar itself. It really isn't the hybridizer's fault. A reputable grower will not release plants that aren't good growers. Sometimes faults do not show up in plants for several generations.

There is some thought that violets grow best in the climate/conditions in which they were bred. It would be an interesting experiment to check this out.

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 23:55

o

Hear, hear -
'Gillian' shouldn't be released period. Flowers are really good - but the rosette is is not acceptable. But some growers are not worried about the shape of the rosette, they enjoy flowers.
I wouldn't let LE-Polina bloom like this - I would strip the outside leaves, repot it, disbud - and make sure that it gets the light. I would probably let 1 bloomstalk to open -say WOW- and put all removed leaves down for babies.

Regarding the climate/conditions. I shared 4 Russian standard trailers with my friend Thad from FL - he hybridizes gessies. The standard crown variegated trailers 23-River Moskova, 23-River Yenisey, 23-River Volga, 23 - River Severka. They grow well for me - huge guys - and in Tampa FL they sulked and almost died. He restarted them from leaf - new plant - leaf -new plant -3 times. Now they grow like weeds for Thad - and he uses them for his hybridizing.

So yes - they have memory of the climate they were born - but you can retrain them - probably selecting more adjusted clones on the way.

I.

o

Thanks Irina,

You just cleared one mystery for me, as a newbie I got some optimaras, couple died couple are fine, could not see any reason why. Then I decided that I really like mini violets; got few, and all "imports" are gone and ones from Miami local grower, even tiniest, are fine! Of course it's possible that acclimated noids are just stronger, but mail orders weren't fancy either. Miami has way worse weather than Tampa, and plants just know what is going on outside, AC or not!

o

Irina,

Was there a reason your Florida friend grew out three generations? Did it take that many for the variety to adjust to his conditions or was it just an arbitrary number?

Aggie,

Plants definitely know what is going on outside! And plants that have a definite blooming season in their native habitat will continue to bloom in that season no matter where in the world they are.

Linda

o

Linda -

I do not know why 3 is a magic number. Probably 3 is a minimum -= and since now on all the next generations will do good in Tampa.

Aggie - you need to try to grow more other gesneriads. Miami should be perfect for all kind of tropical things... I am thinking Aeschynanthus...

Here is a link that might be useful: Aeschynanthus humilis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here