Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
African Violet looking Peaked

Posted by babywatson 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 20, 07 at 21:06

I just repotted my very old African violet. It has been years since I repotted it.

It doesn't look so good.

It's just sorta limping along. The leaves look hunkered down. It is in an African violet pot with water! In the past, that's all I ever had to do with it.

By the way, I used genuine African violet potting soil (so the bag claimed).

What now?

Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: African Violet looking Peaked

Hi Mary,
My g uess it that he soil is too heavy. Lighten it up with equat parts of perlite and vermiculite.
Fred in NJ

o

Sometimes violets will sulk with the stress of being repotted. Cover the plant and pot with a large plastic for a few weeks for more humidity. It should begin to take off in growth in a few weeks.

You can lighten your soil by using one third each of vermiculite and perlite.

Nancy

o

Mary -

the soil is way too heavy for this pot. It requires a super light soil - like cut your violet soil it with 2 part of perlite.

Is it a ceramic pot? If it is - you need to get your violet out of this pot now, put it in a cheap plastic pot with light soil, barely moist and bag it to increase humidity. You need to inspect the roots - may be the root rot already started - then you need to cut off the rotten part, remove most of the leaves - and rer0ot it in a bag - like i mentioned above. Just in case - put a couple of leaves down- cut them off now - let them soak in a warm water for half an hour to rehydrate- and put them for rooting.

When and if your violet survives the ordeal and gets strong again - you can repot it back to the ceramic double pot with light soil. These pots are really not that good - and the soil that is sold as AV soil - is just too heavy. Needs more perlite.

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here