Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_kc

Rob's Boondoggle first bloom

susan_kc
10 years ago

Not really what i was expecting, but still very pretty. Would the cooler weather cause the color to be so much different from what is on the Violet Barn website, do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Barn picture of Rob's Boondoggle

Comments (25)

• Karin
    10 years ago

Wow, that is different. Is it the very first time blooming?

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

My "two cents" ⦠I have ordered only once from VB, a few months ago. One of the AVs was not what I ordered and
    not labelled correctly. When it bloomed, it did not match what it was supposed to be. The blooms are very pretty. It took a long time to bloom, so I did not attempt to contact VB about it.
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Kc,

Cooler weather can affect color but this is very different as to color and petal count. I tried to compare foliage to see if it might be a different variety but I can't get a good look from your picture. I would wait until it blooms again and then maybe again. First bloomings are sometimes not true to the variety and the young plants just need to mature a bit.

Linda

• susan_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't actually buy it from Violet Barn. I bought it at a local show as a plantlet. The person selling had a mature version of this plant entered in the show and it was just beautiful and true-blooming--which is what made me want it.

Yes, this is the very first time it has bloomed. I am really hoping the colors will come true, because RB is such a beautiful plant. I guess it's possible I received a sport...

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for clarifying! I am wondering if others have had a similar experience when buying from a show.
    Joanne

• Karin
    10 years ago

On second look, if you 'imagine' filling in the pink bits a bit more, you get a similar look to the flower on the website, it's not as frilly, and I am not sure about the radiating white stripes, but I see potential that it might develop into a similar look...
    Heck, from what my little Hopi II looked like when I bought it, I have no idea what to expect in the next bloom - it had pink with purple splatters, purple stripes, half purple and full purple flowers (just mentioning that, because to me it's a great example of how different flowers can be on one plant, even during the same bloom cycle...)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Let the plant mature. There always a miniscule variation in the plants started from a leaf. If it still doesn't bloom to your requirements later - when it is warm - find it a new home and get another leaf from somebody who has the one that blooms better.
    It is a great variety - and not that rare.
    I.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

This raises a question I have wanted to ask. When I buy directly from the original hybridizer, I usually expect what I get will be true, at least, for the first bloom. I am wondering if the same expectation can be made when buying from a show when the person was not the hybridizer and raised the plant from a leaf.
    Joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Joanne- you get a leaf from the best blooming plant you find - put it down - and the 10 babies you get will have some variations. May be 1 will come white - and you chuck it or Rob will chuck it if he will see how it is blooming. The rest of them will fit the description = but some will be brighter, some paler. If yours come up totally out of range - you can ask Rob to replace it.
    I would say the only thing he will keep until they bloom - will be chimeras. They are expensive and not always come true even if they are raised from a sucker.
    I am sure that Rob selects his mother plants to be the best - but Mother Nature always plays with a progeny.

I.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

As Irina says, there is always the possibility to be some variation. As we have talked about, some varieties are less stable genetically than others.

I would guess that a hybridizer selling his new varieties would have leaves from plants that have not yet varied into something different while a grower might have plants that are a few generations from the original and may be a bit different.

Also, a hybridizer will toss any non-true plant, as Irina said, while a grower may not.

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Linda and Irina,

I have never had ten babies from one leaf at one time.
    Usually, two or three.

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

I have an 'Arabian Night' that literally explodes with babies.

It just depends on the variety.

Linda

• irina_co
    10 years ago

For me it depends on the quality of the leaf - if you cut it off and stick it in a solo cup - it will give more - than if you get it by mail from somebody.

I.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Irina,
    Good advice. I usually just put down the leaves that get knocked off by accident. They are usually older leaves. That is probably why they yield just a couple of babies.
    I don't usually take a leaf from a new plant because I thought the empty spot left might eventually result in a sucker trying to grow to fill it in.

Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Linda,
    Would you have Arabian Nights in bloom that you would be willing to post a pic? LLG is not showing it in their catalog, only the description. I could not find a pic on line in bloom. (It sounds a little wild-looking, exotic.)
    Thanks,
    Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Deleted duplicate post.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 23:10

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

Mine isn't in bloom now and I searched for an image and couldn't find a good one. I have one on my First Class and if someone can tell me how to post it here, I would be happy to do that for you. It's a very cool flower!

Linda

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks! Perhaps AVSA has it on their website, I can look when I get a moment. (I don't have First Class yet.)

(When I try to cut and paste, I use the mouse to highlight the photo as though to copy, then drop it in. Perhaps try that.)

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

The only thing it lets me do is copy to clipboard but I honestly have no idea where my clipboard is. And it's not on AVSA, I just checked.

Linda

• Karin
    10 years ago

Your clipboard is your computers virtual memory. From there, you can go into photoshop, or any other image editing program (or even word processing), and paste it into a new workspace/another image - then you can save it as a jpg and upload here.
    Depending on your version of windows, you may be able to right-click on your desktop and paste it there. But usually it turns into some weird graphic-clip format, which is basically useless.

It's a lot of work just for sharing an image...

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Karin, Thanks for this advice to Linda.
    I have a Mac at home, Windows at work, however, I find that many of the techniques can be applied to both OS's.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 13:16

• irina_co
    10 years ago

Regarding "Arabian Night" - I found a pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: ARABIAN NIGHT

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks! Also for advice on thread re insecticide. Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Thanks, Irina!

Fro,

But how do I access my clipboard? Where is it? Even a search turns up nothing.

Linda

• Karin
    10 years ago

On a Mac, I think you could see it from the edit menu (it's been a while since I had one), I don't think you can view your clipboard on a pc - just paste it's contents to another place (ctrl+v, or right click "paste").
    It's more or less an imaginary place really, it stores things temporarily, then pffft they are gone when you put something new in, or reboot.

Karin