Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growhappy

New to Forum

GrowHappy
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Although I'm not new to Gardenweb, I am new to the AV forum. I've lurked for a while and have enjoyed reading your posts. I've been growing violets and other gessies for almost 2 years. My interest has increased immensely this year, however. So much so that I sold most all of my other houseplants to make room and money to buy gessies!!! Ha! I don't have much to offer in the way of advice on violets yet, but I can share pics and share in your growing joys/pains! BTW, streptocarpus are my other love in the gesneriad world!

{{gwi:382784}}

{{gwi:382785}}

{{gwi:382786}}

{{gwi:382787}}

Comments (9)

• travisviolets
    14 years ago

Hi, Glad to have you here. Nice Violets.
    Email me privatly. Have other Violet Forums that are great.

Travis

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hey lady! I know you!
    Nice to see ya here!,,,Debbie

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Welcome to the forum! And thanks for posting your pictures, they are lovely.

Who is that gorgeous babe in the second photo? Nice ruffles.....

Barbara

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Deb! Nice seeing you over here too. :)

Hi Barb, thanks for the welcome! The second photo is of Russian Supernature. I got it from David Thompson(well known strep hybridizer, used to dabble in AVs) off eBay. I love it! If you hover your mouse over the photos, you can see the names of each photo. I love this feature on photobucket!!!

Hope everyone's staying as warm and cozy as possible!

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi GH,
    Glad to see you here. It's always nice to see a newbie on the AV forum. If you need any info we have a good crew here that can supply you with all the answers. Meanwhile, tell us a little more about yourself. Where do you live, what kind of AV's do you like the best. Do you have a favorite, do you belong to a club? Hopefully we will see more of your postings and lots of pictures.
    Welcome
    Fred in NJ

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the welcome! I live in Baltimore, belong to the Baltimore African Violet Club (with Marie Burns as VP!), AVSA and National Gesneriad Society. I don't have a favorite, but bi-colored ones rank right up there at the top! I'm not sure what the flower type is called, but I love the ones that look like little rosettes- Russian AV Winter Smiles comes to mind. Bell shaped flowers are nice too, but I don't find a lot of those available. Ruffled girl foliage flips my switch. LOL

At this point, I'm not interested in growing for show, but for sale perhaps at my local club shows each year. Marie has taught me quite a bit since joining the club this Fall. If you are familiar with her, she grows for show (and sale!). We have a great club in Baltimore, lots of experienced growers who are more than willing to help the new kid on the block;) Our next meeting is not until March, so I've got a couple of months without some face-to-face AV camaraderie!!!

I look forward to mingling with everyone here. Again, thanks for your welcome.

Shanika

• raven_ladybug
    14 years ago

Welcome Growhappy!
    You will love it here. Such a wonderful group of helpful people. What lovely pictures! I love it when people post pictures, such a treat.
    Have a wonderful day,
    Raven

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

Love the photos.. I do like the colors in the second shot. will have to find a bit of that little dear.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Shanika,
    You have a great mentor with Marie Burns. I have seen many of her plants at convention. I remember the Lancaster show where she had Ocean Eyes that was about two feet across. My memory may be faulty but it was huge and I remember people lining up to get leaves of her winning plants.
    Fred in NJ

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County