Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thominindy

Sprinkles Is not blooming true

thominindy
13 years ago

Hi All.

Sprinkles was one of my spring leaves that I put down this year. I kept two babies and they are both in bloom. Only one bloomstalk is blooming true. There is a hint of fantasy in one bloom on the other plant. My question is: does the leaf directly under the bloomstalk that is blooming true have the best chance of producing true blooming babies?

Thank You

Thom

Comments (5)

• snousey
    13 years ago

Hi Tom,
    I'm not a regular poster on this forum, but I have grown violets for many years (I currently have over 100 plants and many more on the way). It sounds like the second baby is trying, and I would give both of your babies a few more bloom cycles before giving up on them. Sometimes the first blooms are a little wonky until the plant has a chance to settle itself.
    In answer to your question, yes, the leaf under the bloom stalk would have the best chance of producing true blooming babies. You could also try starting new plants from the true blooming bloom stalk itself, if it has large enough leaves on the stalk. Below, I have posted a link from the Violet Barn with instructions on how to do that. Good luck and have fun if you decide to try it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom stalk propogation

• thominindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the information snousey. You even answered my questions I didn't ask. I know that the first bloom (blooms) from a new plant can be strange and I will give them more time. Thank you for the link. I have only been keeping AV's for not quite two years and I have not yet done anything like starting new plants from the bloom stalk . Sounds like fun.

ThomInIndy

• snousey
    13 years ago

Thom,
    You are very welcome! I am just now trying it myself. I have always had better luck starting my leaves in water, so just for kicks, I took a bloom stalk of Kei-Yoki and prepared it as the instructions above. But, instead of planting it in soil, I took a tiny bottle, filled it with diluted plant food and covered the top with foil. Then I took an ice pick and poked a hole just big enough for the stem to fit through.
    Darned if it didn't take root and start to send little plant leaves out from where the bloom stalk leaves meet the stem. I just checked it the other day, and it's even making a baby at the bottom of the stem where the roots are, just like a leaf! I am going to plant it this weekend and hope it doesn't die from the shock.
    If this is successful, I'm going to try it with a chimera bloom stalk (since a true blooming chimera can't be started from a leaf), as I don't have the courage to pinch out the crown of my plant to make it sucker, LOL!

Donna

• thominindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I started the bloomstalk that started this thread mostly out of curiosity and the excitement of finding a new tool. I put it into a light soil mix and into a humidity tray. Those are the things that work for me.

I have never tried to propagate my Chimeras either for the same reasons as you, however I am looking forward to doing it now.

Thom

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Donna - hi =
    your Kei-Yoki will probably be true from all the places since it is not a chimera. Your chimera has a chance to be true from the the bloomstalk leaves node bud.

To top the crown of chimera to produce tons of suckers .. you can do it risk free if you leave only couple of rows of leaves on the old crown - and get quite a substantial top to reroot. It is actually good for the plant - it rejuvenates the top part.

You can try to take a needle - and punch small holes on the the stem - sometimes it stmulates the suckers.

When you repot your chimera - if you plant it too deep - cover the nodes of the lower leaves - they will also produce suckers.

Good Luck

irina

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists