Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlm303

Santa Paulia comes early

jlm303
10 years ago

Today I delivered 12 AV starters from my own plants, all in nice little cache pots. I've been working on them since July. Delivery had to come early because we had such unseasonably warm weather. Temps will start dropping tomorrow and no guarantee of 50+weather again before Christmas. People were so pleasantly surprised. I had the most fun of all!
Jodi

Comments (10)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Wow, Jodi, an even dozen! Sounds like the Twelve Days of Christmas ⦠I hope the recipients were surprised and delighted!

I brought one to my Thanksgiving hostess. I enjoyed selecting just the right cache pot and ribbon, so I know what you mean about having fun!

It's a different feeling when it is a gift vs. trading leaves with an AV buddy.

Joanne

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

Do you have pics? Always looking for gift-presentation ideas...

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

Do you have pics? Always looking for gift-presentation ideas...

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi UV,

Here is one idea for a sleeve for a 4" pot, if they are still available:

The Container Store had sturdy, thin plastic containers that were round, flat on the bottom, the sides were accordion-pleated and fanned out. They were approximately 4" high and 4" wide when opened up. They were shaped like big cupcake holders. The pleats allowed them to strecth out to snugly wrap around a 4" pot. They were a perfect size to use as a sleeve to slip a 4" pot with violet into. The top of the container was about 1/4" taller than a standard size 4" pot, so it covered the rim. They could be slipped off for watering. They came in several colors. Mostly, I recall dark red, white, and green. I got red for the season. They were lightweight and attractive. They dressed up any violet and made a festive presentation.

I hope to stop by the Container Store again soon to see if they still have those. (They came in various diameters, larger and smaller.)

I used to like to give AVs as gifts in 4" pots to people who did not usually raise them, that way, they would not have to worry about repotting when the plant grew.

Joanne

• jlm303
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds cute! I had different votive candle holders that covered the 3 oz solo cups. The mini's were in single serving jars from st dalfours. It was a lot of fun!
    Jodi

• Karin
    10 years ago

See, I would just china cups from a set that I broke all the plates from...
    Anyhow, I have a dozen of those cups left, and a dozen 2" pots that fit them perfectly. Also works to catch any drippings :-)
    if you have spare cups kicking around, or catch a nifty church sale, I think it's a great way to dress up AV's.
    And it's also a way to hang on to 'souvenir' cups you broke the handle off of (I do get attached to things like that, and using old dishes for planters has a long family tradition)...

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Karin
    Sounds like a fun way to accessorize the plants!
    Joanne

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

Thanks for the presentation ideas!

@Joanne: I will have to check out those containers, the accordion pleats in them sound lovely.

Over in the gallery Perle de Or had posted a pic of her AV in a cache crystal goblet. It looks really fancy and the tall goblet stem is great for keeping long petioles happy and off the shelf surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crystal Goblet container

This post was edited by ultra_violet on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 12:20

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

U_V, It is very pretty! I sometimes find wide bowl clear wineglasses on sale that have short stems that can elevate a plant. Sometimes florists have pedestal type plant holders, although such shops are more expensive because these are specialty items. Sometimes I invert a decorative cache pot or just a plain clay pot and place the plant on top to elevate the leaves. I use plastic for my plants, however, I have a bunch of left-over clay pots. I like using a holder that has a bowl to hold the plant's pot more securely.
    J

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

U_V, It is very pretty! I sometimes find wide bowl clear wineglasses on sale that have short stems that can elevate a plant. Sometimes florists have pedestal type plant holders, although such shops are more expensive because these are specialty items. Sometimes I invert a decorative cache pot or just a plain clay pot and place the plant on top to elevate the leaves. I use plastic for my plants, however, I have a bunch of left-over clay pots. I like using a holder that has a bowl to hold the plant's pot more securely.
    J

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting